Tandoori Mushroom Tikka with Indian Spices, a healthy and protein rich tandoori recipe made from button mushrooms. I have used homemade tandoori masala to prepare this recipe which gives excellent results and fresh flavor. The chilies which I have used to prepare tandoori powder doesn’t give dark red color. If you want it to be dark red color, then try adding edible red color or use Kashmir red chilies to prepare masala.
Since the mushrooms leave lot of water, it would be better to add thick curd / yogurt and less salt. You can use the watery paste to prepare tikka masala later and simply coat the marinated mushrooms with besan flour at the time of grilling.
Tandoori Mushroom Tikka Recipe
a healthy and protein rich tandoori recipe made from button mushrooms.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Starter, Side
- 1 and ½ cup mushrooms – cut into two or use whole
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp tandoori masala powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp thick curd / yogurt
- 2 tbsp gram flour / besan / kadalai maavu – optional
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp dry fenugreek leaves / kasoori methi – optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Tandoori Mushroom Tikka
- Combine curd, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, tandoori masala powder, salt and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Whisk everything to prepare smooth paste. Add methi leaves and mix well.
- Marinate mushroom with the prepared paste and add oil. Close it and keep it in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove and keep at room temperature for 10 mins. The mushrooms will leave water, so do not worry, strain the paste and mix gram flour with the marinated mushrooms. This step is optional.
- If using oven, then preheat oven to 180 degree C for 10 mins in grill / broil mode. Take skewers and insert mushrooms. Place a foil sheet over baking tray and keep the skewers.
|Stove Top Method|
- Keep the tray in top rack and grill for 10 mins. After 10 mins, remove from oven and turn over the sides. Grill again for 10-15 mins. Tandoori Mushroom is ready and serve with Mint-Coriander / Green Chutney. If using stove top / gas stove, then follow the preparation method I had described in Paneer Tikka recipe.