|Fresh Turmeric & Ginger Pickle / Manjal Inji Oorugai|
Fresh Turmeric & Ginger Pickle / Kachche Haldi ka Achaar, a very easy and tasty pickle variety made from raw turmeric and ginger. Use either mustard oil or gingelly oil to prepare this pickle. Heat oil and bring it to room temperature as this will remove raw smell. Lemon juice acts as a preservative and if the pickle is soaked in more oil than it can be consumed for more than 6 months. Keep the pickle jar in sunlight for 2 days or even more to improve its shelf life.
You can avoid ginger and prepare this pickle with just raw turmeric. During pongal season, we get lots of fresh turmeric in market. Instead of using it to prepare curries, this time I tried making pickle and it is so delicious. I have referred Nisha Madhulika ji’s site for the recipe and reduced the quantity.
Similar pickle recipes shared in my space,
Fresh Turmeric & Ginger Pickle | Manjal Inji Oorugai
a very easy and tasty pickle variety made from raw turmeric and ginger.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Pickle
Cuisine: South Indian
- 50 gms Raw Turmeric / Kachi Haldi / Manjal
- 25 gms Ginger / Inji / Adrak
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 and ½ tsp fenugreek seeds powder
- 1 and ½ tsp mustard seeds powder
- asofoetida / hing – 2 pinch
- salt to taste
- ½ cup gingelly oil (or) mustard oil
- Please follow the instructions below.
Steps to prepare Turmeric Ginger Pickle at home
- Wash raw turmeric and ginger. Peel off the skin and wipe with tissue or clean cloth to remove excess water. Or keep it under sunlight to make it dry.
- Chop them finely or better grate them. Keep it aside. Prepare mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds powder. (Dry roast fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds separately & finely blend in mixer)
- Heat gingelly oil in a pan and remove from the heat. Bring it to room temperature. Add grated turmeric, ginger, prepared powders, salt, red chili powder and asofeotida. Use a dry spoon or better a wooden spoon to stir. Close it for 5 mins.
- Add lemon juice and stir well. Transfer this to a clean glass jar or clay containers. Keep the jar in sunlight for 2-3 days to improve its shelf life. It will also improve its taste. I kept it in sunlight for 4 days. Serve this with roti or curd rice or rasam rice or sambar rice. Just make sure to take only 1/4 tsp of pickle as this is not consumed in large quantity.