Easy Gulab Jamun using Milk Powder, deep fried balls made from milk powder and soaked in sticky sugar syrup. This is one of the easy version to prepare gulab jamun. All you need is milk powder, maida, curd and milk / water. I have referred Mallika Badrinath’s cookbook for the recipe.
Adding curd is optional. You can replace it with milk. As we are using milk powder, the dough will be sticky. Do not knead much or gulab jamuns will turn hard. Soak jamuns for at least 2 hrs. But I let them soak overnight to absorb all the syrup. With the below mentioned quantity, you will get 35 marble sized gulab jamuns.
Milk Powder Gulab Jamun | Easy Gulab Jamun
deep fried balls made from milk powder and soaked in sticky sugar syrup.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup milk powder
- 6 tbsp maida / all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cooking soda
- 1 tbsp curd / yogurt
- 2 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- milk or water – to knead
- For Sugar Syrup :
- 1 and ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp rose essence
- 2-3 green cardamom
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Milk Powder Gulab Jamun
- Sieve milk powder, maida and cooking soda. Add ghee and make crumbles. Now, add curd and mix well. Add either milk or water to knead. The dough will be sticky, so add 1 tsp milk / water at a time. Form a smooth dough and close it for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare sugar syrup by mixing sugar and water in a pan. Once sugar is completely dissolved, add rose essence and cardamom. Prepare sticky sugar syrup and switch off the flame.
- Heat oil / ghee for deep frying in medium flame. Grease you palm and make small marble sized balls of dough. Make sure there are no cracks formed.
- To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up floating. This is the right stage to fry jamuns. Add 4-5 balls at a time and keep the flame to low-medium.
- The jamuns will slowly change its color to brown. Once it turns golden brown, remove from the heat and drop in sugar syrup. Similarly prepare other jamuns and soak in syrup. Let them soak for 2 hours. Serve with ice cream or carrot halwa.