Happy Birthday to my Precious Blog which introduced me to food photography and many other interests like collecting antiques and trying new recipes daily. I would like to thank all my readers, blog visitors, followers and blogger friends for supporting this space. Feedbacks from you guys is what made us grow. I learnt a lot in these 3 years and still learning. We have seen many ups and downs in this journey, but the recipe feedback and mails from our readers made us to not step back and move forward. I do hope that this continues in future and we shall not fail your expectations. Thank you once again for all your continued support. Though my blog turned 3 last week, but I couldn’t prepare anything special to celebrate. I had shared Bundt Fruit Cake for 1st anniversary & Kalkandu Pongal for 2nd blog anniversary.
Sweet Carrot / Delhi Carrot is found in abundance now, so planned to try Carrot halwa and use it as stuffing for Poli. For Carrot Halwa, we also add milk but I have skipped it. Adding milk is totally optional in this recipe.
To make it healthy, I have used wheat flour instead of maida & replaced sugar with palm jaggery. So overall, this is a healthy and guilt free snack. You can try this poli with beetroot or normal carrot. In that case, adjust the quantity of sugar or jaggery to make it more sweeter.
Sweet Carrot & Wheat Poli
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
- For Dough :
- 2 cup wheat flour
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- water to knead
- For Stuffing :
- 2 cup grated sweet carrot / delhi carrot
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- ½ cup grated palm jaggery / karupati / vellam – according to your need
- 2 tsp ghee / clarified butter (to make it vegan, replace with oil)
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Carrot Poli
To Prepare Dough :
- Sieve wheat flour and salt. Combine in a mixing bowl. Add enough water and knead to very smooth dough. Add oil and knead again. Close it and keep aside for 10 mins.
To Prepare Stuffing :
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan or kadhai. Add grated carrot and cardamom powder. Stir well on low-medium flame for 5 mins.
- Add grated jaggery and cook for 10 mins or till all the moisture is absorbed from carrot. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
To Prepare Poli / Obbattu:
- Take the dough and make small balls. Take a ball and flatten it in the shape of a disc. Fill it with spoonful of carrot mixture and close all the sides.
- Dust it with wheat flour and roll it to form the shape of a round paratha. It should not be too thick or too thin. Similarly proceed with other balls. Heat a tava and apply ghee/oil.
- Cook poli and once brown spots appear, flip over to other side and apply ghee/oil. Once cooked, remove from the heat and proceed with the remaining. Serve this hot or cold. You can refrigerate the remaining dough and use it within 2 days.