|Ellu Milagai Podi for Idli & Dosa|
Idli Milagai Podi / Ellu Milagai Podi, a very flavorful and famous podi variety which is served with idli(fermented steamed cakes) and dosa(fermented crepe). I’m not a big fan of idli podi, but due to the request of my husband, I prepared this milagai podi. May be this is the first time we tasted fresh podi after marriage. We always get podi from stores and truly speaking I never liked the smell of those podi. And most of the times, it will find its way to garbage.
I got this recipe from my aunt and tried immediately. The curry leaves lover in me couldn’t resist to add those leaves. It sure gives a nice touch to milagai podi. You can increase the quantity of ellu / sesame seeds according to your preference. The below mentioned quantity yields 2 cup of Podi.
Other Podi varieties shared,
Ellu Milagai Podi for Idli & Dosa
a very flavorful and famous podi variety which is served with idli(fermented steamed cakes) and dosa(fermented crepe).
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Masala Powder
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1 cup ultham paruppu / black gram / urad dal – cleaned
- ¼ cup ellu / black sesame seeds / til
- 10-13 dry red chilies
- 3 stick curry leaves
- 1 tbsp kadala paruppu / bengal gram / channa dal
- 2 tbsp cumin / jeera seeds
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- Please check the instructions below.
Instructions to prepare Ellu Milagai Podi at home
- Heat a pan and dry roast curry leaves on low medium flame for a min till they becomes crisp. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Similarly, dry roast urad dal, sesame seeds, channa dal, broken red chilies and cumin seeds separately till they turn golden brown. Remove from the heat and keep aside. Each ingredient takes it own time to roast.
- Combine all the roasted ingredients and grind in a mixer to smooth powder. Add asofoetida and salt to taste. Mix well everything. Adjust the salt and spice. If you want it to be more spicy, then adjust the amount of red chilies added. Store podi in an airtight container and serve when needed with idli and dosa.