|How to make Soft Idli Batter using Mixie|
How to make Soft Idli Batter using Mixie, with step-by-step pictures. Idli / Dosa Batter prepared using grinder always disappoints me. But with mixie, I never got disappointed neither got any complaints from my husband.
We follow 4:1 ratio for rice and urad dal. You can prepare dosa batter following the same method. But to prepare large quantity of idli / dosa, grinder is always the best option. For the below mentioned measurement, it takes 15 mins to prepare batter using mixie.
Accompaniment for Idli,
How to make Soft Idli Batter using Mixie
How to make Soft Idli Batter using Mixie, with step-by-step pictures.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South Indian
- 3 cup Idli Rice
- 1 cup Aval / Poha / Flattened Rice Flakes
- 1 cup urad dal / ultham paruppu / black gram
- salt to taste
- Please check the instructions below for step by step pics.
Instructions to prepare Soft Idli Batter at home,
- Combine idli rice and poha in a bowl. Wash them well and drain the water completely. Soak in enough water overnight or for at-least 3 hrs. I have tried both the soaking methods and both works out well. Similarly, wash and soak urad dal in enough water overnight or for 3 hrs.
- Take mixer jar and urad dal. Blend them for few seconds and add little water. Blend it again to smooth paste. Add little water while grinding to make smooth batter. Transfer urad dal batter to a container.
- Blend rice aval mixture in the same jar in small batches to get better results. Grind them for 2 pulses without adding water. Now, add 2-3 tbsp water and grind it again till you get smooth batter. Similarly, proceed with the remaining batches.
- Mix rice batter with urad dal batter. Add little salt and mix everything well. Close it and keep aside. Let it ferment overnight or for 8-10 hrs. Once fermented, keep the batter closed in refrigerator and use when needed.
- To prepare Idli, fill the idli cooker with water. Grease idli plates with little oil and pour tablespoon of idli batter in each cups. Keep the plate in cooker once water starts boiling. Steam cook for 10-15 mins. Switch off the flame. Remove idli carefully with the help of spoon and serve hot with chutney and sambar.