|Instant Beetroot Dhokla Recipe / Savory Beets & Gram Flour Cake|
Beetroot Dhokla Recipe, a regular dhokla recipe with an addition of beetroot puree. It can be enjoyed well with Green Chutney & Dates Tamarind Chutney. I had previously shared the recipe of Instant Khaman Dhokla. I have referred that recipe. Both are same except for the extra addition of beetroot. Similarly, you can try adding spinach / palak. Those who doesn’t have steamer pan, can try this with Idli Steamer / Cooker, or use any wok or kadai. I have used heart shaped cake pan to give this beautiful look.
“Dhokla or Dhokra is a vegetarian food item that originates from the Indian state of Gujarat. It is made with a fermented batter derived from rice and chickpea splits. Dhokla can be eaten for breakfast, as a main course, as a side dish, or as a snack. Khaman is a similar gram flour-based food. Whereas dhokla is made with rice and chickpeas, khaman is made from chickpeas only. It is generally lighter in color and softer than dhokla, to make dhokla small proportion of baking soda is added while in khaman more baking soda is added to make it more fluffy spongy and porous.” – Wikipedia Source
To make it spongy, we have used eno salt, ie. regular eno fruit salt and not flavored ones. It is advisable to always add eno salt when you are ready to steam the batter. To make dhokla more healthy, you can try this with millet flours or oats.
Similar Gujarati Cuisine recipes,
Instant Beetroot Dhokla Recipe | Savory Beets & Gram Flour Cake
a regular dhokla recipe with an addition of beetroot puree enjoyed well with Green Chutney & Dates Tamarind Chutney.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main, Snacks
Cuisine: Gujarati, Indian
- For Batter :
- 1 cup besan / kadalai maavu / gram flour
- 1 tbsp semolina / rava
- ½ cup beetroot puree
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp regular eno fruit salt
- 1 green chili
- ¼ cup curd / yogurt
- salt to taste
- For Tempering :
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 20 curry leaves
- asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Instant Beetroot Dhokla at home,
- Grind green chili and ginger adding little water to smooth paste. Keep it aside. Fill steamer pan with enough water and heat it at medium flame. Sieve besan flour and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add semolina, salt, chili paste, lemon juice, beetroot puree and curd. Use a hand whisk or spoon and mix everything well. Add 1/4 cup water or more if needed and prepare a smooth batter of dosa batter consistency. Make sure there are no lumps formed. Keep aside.
- Grease a round or square or rectangular pan with little oil. I have used pudding moulds and heart shaped cake pan here. Once water starts boiling in steamer pan, add eno salt to prepared batter. Mix it in one direction and you will see a frothy batter. Pour this in greased pan and keep it in steamer sieve. Close the lid and switch the flame to low-medium.
- Cook it for 12-15 mins. Check dhokla by inserting a toothpick or knife at the center. It should come out clean. Switch off the flame and remove the pan. Let it cool down completely for 20-30 mins. The sides of dhokla will start leaving the pan. Now remove dhokla carefully from the pan.
- For tempering, heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Sprinkle asofoetida. Add water and let it boil for few seconds. Pour this over dhokla and garnish with chopped coriander. Cut it into desired shapes and serve with green chutney, tamarind chutney or tomato sauce.