|Mushroom Vindaloo Recipe|
Mushroom Vindaloo, today I’m sharing a very flavorful curry which comes from the Latin Christian Community. It is similar to the Goan Style Vindaloo Curry except for few spices which we have additionally used here. I have adapted this recipe from “The Essential Kerala Cookbook“. The original recipe is made from Pork, I have used button mushrooms and also changed the cooking method.
Mushroom Vindaloois purely a vegan dish made from indian spices like cardamom, pepper, cloves etc.. Additionally, I have added garam masala. You can use coconut oil, groundnut oil or gingelly oil. If you want watery curry, then add 1 cup extra water along with the mentioned quantity and cook accordingly. This curry goes well with parotta, roti, chapati or rice. You can try the same with chicken, mutton, prawn or any vegetables.
Other mushroom based recipes,
Mushroom Vindaloo Recipe
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
- 200 gms Button Mushroom
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Garam Masala – optional
- To Grind : (Masala 1)
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera seeds
- 1 tsp khus khus / poppy seeds
- 7-8 dry red chilies
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- To Grind : (Masala 2)
- 1 medium sized onion – chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3-4 cloves
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Please check the instructions below for step by step pics.
How to prepare Mushroom Vindaloo,
To Prepare Masala 1 :
- Dry roast cumin seeds, khus khus and red chilies in a pan till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Blend in a mixer along with coriander powder to coarse masala powder.
To Prepare Masala 2 :
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cloves and chopped onions. Cook till onions turn golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind them with ginger garlic paste, pepper powder, cardamom powder and vinegar to smooth paste. Add 2 tbsp water and grind. Keep it aside.
To Prepare Curry :
- Heat 4-5 tbsp oil in a pan. Fry mushrooms for 5 mins on low-medium flame. Remove mushrooms from the oil and keep aside. Fry chopped onions in the same oil till it turns golden brown. Add masala 2 and turmeric powder. Saute a while. Add masala 1 and stir well.
- Add 2 cup water and salt to taste. Cook it covered on low flame for 20-30 mins till raw masala smell goes. Add fried mushrooms, garam masala and sprinkle lemon juice if needed. Mix well everything and cook for another 10 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with roti or rice.