|Sweet Ragi Puttu / Finger Millet & Palm Jaggery Puttu|
Sweet Ragi Puttu, a steamed, healthy, vegan and gluten-free puttu recipe made from finger millet and palm jaggery. Few days back, I had posted Savory version of Puttu (Ragi Jowar Puttu Upma). This is a sweet version which is easy to prepare. You can replace ragi with jowar, kambu, rice flour, oats, barley, thinai or any other millets.
I have used homemade sprouted ragi flour which is more nutritious compared to regular ragi flour. The sprouted ones are easy to digest and contains good amount of protein. This is a 3 months old post which was waiting to get published. I didn’t do much cooking for past few days, so all my drafted posts are finding its way to get published.
Instead of sugar, I have used palm jaggery to make it more healthy. But before adding jaggery, make sure it is free of dust or impurities. Otherwise, prepare jaggery syrup and stir well with cooked puttu in a pan.
Other puttu recipes shared,
Sweet Ragi Puttu | Finger Millet & Palm Jaggery Puttu
a steamed, healthy, vegan and gluten-free puttu recipe made from finger millet and palm jaggery.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: South Indian
- ½ cup sprouted ragi flour/ finger millet / kezhvaragu/ mandua / ragulu
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds powder
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut
- ½ cup grated palm jaggery / karupati / regular jaggery / sugar
- warm water
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Sweet Ragi Puttu,
- Combine ragi flour, cardamom powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add 2 tbsp warm water at a time and make crumbles of the mixture. We need not form a dough. Just make sure the mixture is wet enough to make shapes.
- If using puttu steamer, then heat pressure cooker with water. Take the cup shaped or funnel puttu steamer. Place a layer of grated coconut and spread a layer of prepared puttu mixture. Close the lid of puttu steamer and place it over pressure cooker lid.
- Once water starts boiling in cooker, place this lid and cook at low-medium flame for 10 mins. Remove from the heat and keep aside. Make crumbles from prepared puttu. Now, add grated jaggery to it and mix everything well. Serve hot or cold.