|Barley & Egg Masala Puttu|
Barley & Egg Masala Puttu, a steamed cylinders of egg masala, grated coconut and ground barley flour which can be served for breakfast, dinner or as snacks. I have used cup shaped puttu steamer and made puttu in batches. But if you are using cylinder shaped steamer, then it can be prepared in a single batch. I have prepared dry egg masala, to make it watery, you can add 1/4 cup coconut milk and cook the masala. You can serve this dish with kadala curry.
Other barley based recipes,
Barley & Egg Masala Puttu
a steamed cylinders of egg masala, grated coconut and ground barley flour which can be served for breakfast, dinner or as snacks.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South Indian
- To Prepare Puttu :
- ¾ cup barley flour (100 gms Barley / Valkothumai)
- ¼ cup rice flour
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp gingelly oil
- warm water
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut
- To Prepare Egg Masala :
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – finely chopped
- 3-4 green chilies (or) dry red chilies – chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Barley Egg Masala Puttu
To Prepare Egg Masala :
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and chopped chilies. Cook for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add turmeric powder and garam masala. Saute a while. Add broken eggs mixture and salt to taste. Scramble the masala and cook for 5-8 mins on low-medium flame. Garnish with chopped coriander and remove from the heat.
To Prepare Puttu :
- Wash barley and spread on a clean cloth to remove moisture. Heat a pan and dry roast barley for few mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Blend it in a mixer to coarse powder. Combine barley flour, rice flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Heat enough water with 1 tsp oil. Add 2 tbsp warm water at a time and make crumbles of the mixture. We need not form a dough. Just make sure the mixture is wet enough to make shapes.
- If using puttu steamer, then heat pressure cooker with water. Take the cup shaped or funnel puttu steamer. Place a layer of grated coconut, spread a layer of egg masala and prepared puttu mixture.
- Close the lid of puttu steamer and place it over pressure cooker lid. Once water starts boiling in cooker, place this lid and cook at low-medium flame for 10-12 mins. Remove from the heat and keep aside. Serve it hot.