|Homemade Nannari Syrup / How to Prepare Nannari Syrup at home|
How to prepare Nannari Syrup at home, the best summer coolant which can now be prepared at home following few steps. I have shared the step-by-steps photos. This is going to be long post with too many photos. Nannari Roots can be found in any country medicine stores. I got them for Rs 80 (100 gms). Preparing nannari syrup was a long time wish and when hubby dear requested me to buy Nannari Syrup from the store, I made up my mind to try it this summer. I have referred wikiHow for the recipe.
Nannari Roots / Indian Sarsaparilla are better known as summer coolant which also gives relief from constipation and acidity problems. They come very handy during summer in the form of beverages. I have tried ‘n’ number of beverage varieties with nannari syrup and to name a few like Rambutan Nannari Sharbat, Mango Nannari Syrup Sharbat & Grapes Nannari Syrup Soda. You can add this to plain soda, jaljeera or any fruit flavored drink. They are very refreshing and gives unique taste.
The whole process of preparing nannari syrup is very simple except for the cleaning part. The outer part of the roots is what we need to prepare syrup. So crush the roots with mortal n pestle and remove the innermost white portion. These roots are then ground and soaked in hot water overnight. Filter the water next day and cook with palm sugar / jaggery till it reaches one string consistency stage. I had only 3 cups of palm sugar, so also used white sugar here.
I have used Lemon juice as preservative. Store the syrup in refrigerator and serve when needed. Nannari flavored drink can be had at any time of day. So beat the heat with homemade Nannari syrup flavored drinks 🙂 Do write to use if you have any doubt regarding the steps or tried the recipe.With the below mentioned quantity you can prepare 600 ml of syrup.
Sharbat prepared with nannari syrup,
Homemade Nannari Syrup & Sharbat
How to prepare Nannari Syrup at home
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Basics
Cuisine: South Indian
- 100 gms Nannari Roots / Indian Sarsaparilla
- 1 liter water (or 6 cups )
- 500 gms palm sugar / jaggery (i have used 3 cup palm sugar and 1 cup white sugar)
- juice from 3 lemons
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Nannari Syrup at home
- Wash nannari roots and dry them under sunlight for 1-2 hrs or till the roots turn dry. We are doing this to remove all the dirt stuck on roots.
- Using mortar and pestle, lightly crush the root and remove the hard white portion from inside. Similarly proceed with all the roots.
- Either use mortar n pestle to grind the roots or blend them in a mixer. If using mixer, then make sure you are not doing this in night like I did, as it gives loud sound 🙂
- Heat 6 cup water in a pan and allow to boil. Switch off the flame and add ground nannari roots to it and close with a lid immediately. Leave it undisturbed for 8-10 hrs or better overnight.
- Next day, you will see very dark colored water. Now filter the water and make sure to use double filter to remove fine dust particles. I have filtered it 4-5 times using clean handkerchief.
- Add palm sugar and white sugar. Stir well and make sure it is dissolved well. If you see any dirt or dust particles which may float on top of water, then filter them and keep the pan on stove. Switch on the flame and change to low-medium. Stir it occasionally.
- Cook it till you get one-string consistency syrup most probably like the consistency of honey. It took me around 80 mins to get the correct stage.
- The time may vary depending on the pan or vessel you use to prepare the syrup. Switch off the flame and let the syrup come to room temperature. Add lemon juice and stir well. Store the syrup in a clean and sterilized jar. Keep this in refrigerator.
To Prepare Nannari Syrup Sharbat,
- Take a glass and add 2-3 tbsp nannari syrup to it. Fill with water and add ice cubes. Enjoy the drink 🙂 I have also used Sabja Seeds / Falooda Seeds which are not only healthy but also acts as body coolant.