|SPB Brownies / Samai Peanut Butter Brownies (Steamed Version)|
Samai & Peanut Butter Brownies / Millet Brownies, an egg-less brownies made from little millet, wheat flour, jaggery and peanut butter. I have used store bought samai flour. You can prepare the same with samai grains. Dry roast them and grind in a mixer to smooth powder. Use that to prepare brownies. You can use honey or brown sugar or refined sugar instead of palm jaggery. Adjust the quantity accordingly. I have referred my Steamed Wheat Condensed Milk Brownies recipe and modified the ingredients. The peanut butter gives crunchy and unique taste to this brownies.
If you do not wish to add peanut butter, you can replace it with almond butter / regular butter. Those who doesn’t have steamer pan, can try this brownie with Idli Steamer / Cooker, or use any wok or kadai. The water droplets formed inside the steamer lid may wet the brownie, so to avoid that we are loosely covering the top of the pan with foil sheet. After 20 mins, you can start checking the brownie if it is cooked or not. Insert a toothpick or wooden skewer stick in the center of brownie and it should come out clean. If not, then close the steamer lid and allow to cook.
Samai based recipes,
SPB Brownies | Samai Peanut Butter Brownies
an egg-less brownies made from little millet, wheat flour, jaggery and peanut butter.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Indian, World
- ½ cup wheat flour
- ½ cup samai arisi maavu / little millet flour (sama / kutki) – homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup palm jaggery / karupati vellam
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup boiled milk – at room temperature
- 1 tbsp curd / yogurt
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp salt
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Samai Peanut Butter Brownies,
- Blend karupati in a mixer till you get smooth powder. Take a mixing bowl and add peanut butter and karupati powder. Beat it using hand whisk or electric beater. Now, add curd and beat it again. Add vanilla essence and milk. Beat it and finally add olive oil. Beat it again and keep aside.
- Fill steamer pan with enough water and heat it at low-medium flame. Sieve wheat flour, samai flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine them in a bowl. Add cocoa powder and mix well.
- Pour wet content in the dry content. Mix well everything. Grease a pan with oil and sprinkle wheat flour. Spread the flour nicely. Fill the pan with batter. Once water starts boiling in the steamer pan, switch it to low flame.
- Keep the pan inside a sieve and cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil sheet. Close the steamer lid and switch the flame to low-medium.
- Steam cook for 25-30 mins. Check the brownie by inserting a toothpick at the center. It should come out clean. Turn off the stove and remove pan carefully. Let the brownie rest in pan. Slice it into square or rectangular shapes. Take out the pieces carefully. Serve them immediately or store in an airtight container.