Homemade Curry Masala Powder Recipe / Chicken Masala Powder, an aromatic curry masala powder recipe for veg and non-veg curries which leaves a unique flavor to the dish. I had already shared number of homemade masala powders like Garam Masala, Tandoori Powder, Chicken Curry Powder. This powder is mainly used to prepare Kongu style curries. Kongu Nadu covers the region of Erode, Salem, Coimbatore and near by places. They give a special touch to their recipes. Most of them uses coconut in curry. My in-laws prepare this powder in abundant and use to prepare Nattu Kozhi Kuzhambu (or) Mutton Curry. But I use this powder to prepare even veg based curries made from potato, cauliflower, baby corn, paneer, mushroom,etc.. So there is no limit for usage. You can even use this powder to prepare Biryani.
The main ingredients are coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peanuts, curry leaves, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds. It is optional to add red chilies. You will get 120 gms of masala powder. For large quantity, adjust the measurements accordingly. Keep the ingredients under sunlight for an hour and then roast them. I have tried many version of curry masala powder, but this one always stays my favorite. Some of the recipes prepared with this powder are Potato Curry for idli and dosa, Raw Jackfruit Curry, Salem style Fish Curry, Paneer Tikka & Beetroot Curry. Use this powder to prepare any indian style curries.
Homemade Curry Masala Powder Recipe Card
- 100gms Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya / Kothamalli Vidai
- 3 dry red chilies
- 4 tbsp saunf / fennel seeds
- 4 tbsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds / vendayam
- 1 tbsp peanuts / vaerkadalai
- 20-30 curry leaves
- Dry roast curry leaves for a min on low flame till it turns crispy. Remove from the heat and keep aside. Dry roast red chilies till it changes its color a bit. Remove from the heat.
- Dry roast coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds & cumin seeds together till nice aroma comes. Similarly dry roast peanuts for few seconds. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. No need to remove the skin of peanuts.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind everything together to powder. Store in an airtight container and use when needed.