Palak Moong Dal / Spinach Dal, a very easy and delicious dal recipe made from spinach and split green paruppu. Dal is one comfort food which we Indians always prefer for no reasons. Let it be sick day or no mood for cooking day. Well, that’s the case with me. I have tried ‘n’ number of dal/ sambar recipes with different combinations of vegetables. For those of you looking for varieties, do check my post on dal and sambar recipes.
Moong dal makes the curry sticky if less water is used. I have added two cup water to make it watery. You can adjust the quantity according to your requirements. The Punjabi garam masala leaves an unique flavor to this dish. If you do not prefer adding masala to dal, then skip this ingredient and add cumin powder / seeds alone. You can similarly try this dal with any other green leaf varieties likes siru keerai / amaranths, arai keerai, vallarai keerai, mudakathan keerai, etc.. For other moong dal recipes, please check Methi Mooli Moong Dal, Turai & Moong Dal & Zucchini Moong Dal.
How to prepare Spinach Dal
- ½ cup moong dal / siru paruppu / split green gram
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach / palak keerai
- 3 garlic flakes
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 4-5 dry red chilies
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- ½ tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Pressure cook moong dal with garlic flakes and 2 cup water for 4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash the dal and keep aside. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadai. Temper cumin seeds, mustard seeds and broken red chilies.
- Add chopped onions and cook till it turns golden brown. Now, Add chopped spinach, turmeric powder and garam masala. Stir well everything and add ½ cup water. Cook it covered for 2- 3 mins. Add mashed dal and salt to taste. Mix well everything and add 1 cup water. Cook for another 15 mins. Remove from the heat and serve with rice or roti.