Masoor Dal Khichdi, a very healthy vegan one pot meal made from rice, masoor dal and chow chow with the touch of homemade garam masala. Once a week, I make sure to prepare dal khichdi with the available vegetables. This protein rich meal can be tried with any combination of dal (toor dal, channa dal, moon dal) and vegetables (carrot, beans, peas, bottle gourd, nookal etc). Skip garam masala if you want to make it plain without any spices.
Masoor Dal Khichdi, I prepared this khichdi with whole masoor dal / brown lentils, you can also try with split masoor dal. This is a vegan and gluten free preparation with lots of nutrients. It is easy to prepare and can be tried by even bachelors or spinsters in no time. All you need to do is soak rice and dal together and cook them with onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, chili powder, garam masala and any vegetable. This can be prepared in less than 20 mins as we are using pressure cooker, which saves cooking time. Some of the similar dal recipes are Masala Masoor Dal, Panchratan Dal, Dal Tadka, Rajasthani Dal Baati, MTC Dal & Masoor Veggie Dal.
- 1 cup raw rice
- ¼ cup masoor dal / mysore paruppu / brown lentils
- 1 medium sized chow chow / chayote - chopped
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 small tomato - chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Combine dal and rice together in a bowl. Soak in enough water for 1 hour and drain the water completely. Keep it aside. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds, curry leaves and asofoetida.
- Add chopped onions and saute a while. Now, Add tomatoes and mash them. Add ginger-garlic paste, chopped chow chow, turmeric powder, chili powder and garam masala. Stir well everything.
- Add drained rice and dal mixture. Mix well and add 3 cup water and salt to taste. Close the lid and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow the pressure to settle down. Serve warm with onion raita.