Thalippu Vengaya Vadagam Chutney, a very easy chutney recipe made with sun-dried seasoning balls using ammikallu / masala grinding stone. To prepare vengaya vadagam at home, do check my recipe with step by step pics.
I have referred Saiva Samayal Ulagam cookbook for the recipe. This recipe is very easy and simple to follow. I have not used mixer grinder to prepare this chutney. Though using ammikallu, it took me around 20 mins to grind, but it was all worth to try. The fresh smell of chutney in your hands is something divine which you cant enjoy when using electric mixer. Whenever I prepare coconut chutney, I never try to use ammikallu as it takes very long time to grind coconut. And also you will not get very fine paste. Ammikallu has become my new favorite kitchen tool / prop 🙂
Grinding masala with both hands and taking action shots at the same time is very difficult. I had few shots in mind for this recipe but I couldn’t achieve that. Sometimes, I wish i could hire someone to do hand model shots for me.
- small lemon sized vadagam ball / sun-dried seasoning ball
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped coconut
- 2-3 dry red chilies
- 1 small piece of tamarind
- salt to taste
- Heat 1 tsp gingelly oil in a pan or kadai. Add vadagam and broken red chilies. Saute a while. Add chopped onion, coconut and tamarind. Cook for 2 mins on low-medium flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- If you are using mixer grinder, then blend everything together adding little water to smooth paste. Add salt and blend again. Serve it. I have used Masala Grinding Stone / Ammikallu to prepare chutney. Grind all the ingredients to paste adding little water. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Saute this paste and add little water to make it thin chutney. Serve with idli, dosa or rice.