Potato / Aloo Roganjosh, another kashmiri style roganjosh recipe made from potato instead of meat. I have already shared the recipe of Mutton Roganjosh & Chicken Roganjosh. The base curry is same here. As Purattasi month has arrived, I have been trying to satisfy my family’s taste-buds with varieties of veg curries with the base from non-veg curries. One among such is this Aloo Roganjosh recipe which can be equally enjoyed by both vegetarians & non-vegetarians.
You can replace potato with cauliflower, paneer, soya chunks and other vegetables. Or for a variation, try it with vegetable kofta. I’m sure it would be great. The color of this curry is not red, as the chili powder I use doesn’t give dark red color. Try using kashmiri red chili powder.
This curry is very thick and can enjoyed very well with roti, naan or phulka. We served it with roti, cucumber salad and pomegranate raita. Do try this recipe and let me know your feedback. Some of the other curry recipes which you can try this Purattasi month are Chettinadu Saiva Meen Kuzhambu, Spicy Paneer Gravy, Mushroom Tikka Masala, Goan Potato Curry & Pattani Salna.
- 250 gms medium sized potatoes (par-boiled & diced into cubes)
- ½ cup yogurt / curd
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp fennel seeds / saunf
- asofeotida / hing - a pinch
- 1 tsp dry ginger powder / sonth
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 2 cup water
- salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under"To Marinate" in a bowl and add boiled potato cubes. Marinate potatoes well and close it. Keep aside for 1 hour. Take a non stick pan or kadai. Add mustard oil and ghee. For tempering, add bay leaf and fennel seeds. Add asofeotida.
- Add marinated potato cubes and stir well. Close it and cook for 15 mins on low-medium flame.
- Add sonth, garam masala and 1 cup water. Stir well everything and add salt to taste. Cook it covered for another 30 mins. Now, adjust the salt and spice. Add another 1 cup water and cook it covered for 15 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander or mint leaves. Serve hot with roti or any indian flat bread variety.