Pulicha Keerai Chutney / Gongura Chutney, a simple and healthy chutney recipe made from gongura leaves with minimal ingredients. This is a simple version which I learnt from my mother in law. I had also shared another version of gongura chutney few years back.
Gongura leaves are cooked in water till they become soft to remove all the sourness. These leaves are stir fried with onion, red chilies and fenugreek seeds. We do not add water while grinding to increase its shell life. This chutney can be served with roti, rice, idli, dosa or can also be used as a spread for sandwich. The chutney if stored properly can last upto one week in refrigerator. At room temperature, it can last upto two days. This chutney can be used as a base for non-veg curries like chicken, mutton, egg or prawn. I have shared few recipes with this base. You can either use ammikallu / stone grinder or electric mixer grinder to prepare this chutney.
- 1 bunch gongura leaves (Red Sorrel Leaves / Pulicha Keerai) – discard stems
- 4-5 pearl onions / sambar vengayam
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds - optional
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Wash gongura leaves and pressure cook with enough water for 8-10 whistles. If the leaves are too young, then you can pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Remove from the heat and strain the water. You can use this water to prepare any curry. I used it to cook millet. I shall share the recipe later.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a kadai or pan. Temper mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and add broken red chilies. Now, add pearl onions and saute a while. Add cooked gongura leaves and cook till all the moisture is absorbed and you get dry mixture. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Blend it in a food processor or mixer grinder to smooth paste.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a pan and add gongura chutney. Add salt to taste and cook for a minute on low-medium flame. Remove form the heat and allow to cool. Transfer this chutney to an airtight container. You can store this in refrigerator for a week and at room temperature for 2 days.