Happy Vinayaga Chaturthi to all My Readers and Friends!!!
Today we are going to see a very healthy kozhukattai recipe made from kambu maavu. Kambu Thengai Paal Kozhukattai, steamed pearl millet balls in jaggery and coconut milk based syrup. This is a healthy and very delicious paal kozhukattai recipe which is also vegan and gluten-free. The whole process seems to be tedious, but very easy to follow. Pearl Millet balls are steamed and cooked in jaggery and coconut milk based syrup to perfection.
Instead of kambu, you can try this with rice, ragi or thinai. To make this even more healthy, try adding chopped nuts to the jaggery syrup. Those who doesn’t like to add coconut milk, can replace with dairy milk. You can substitute jaggery with sugar. To avoid curdling, coconut milk is added after removing the jaggery syrup from heat. Because of kambu, the final dish looks slightly grayish in color. Do try this recipe and share your feedback with us.
- ½ cup kambu maavu / bajra / pearl millet flour
- water to knead
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp gingelly oil (or) sesame seeds oil
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- ½ cup powdered palm jaggery / karupati
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 3 cup water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- saffron strands - a few for garnishing
- Sieve millet flour and dry roast for few seconds till nice aroma comes. Heat enough water, salt and oil in a pan on high flame. Once it starts boiling, remove from the heat. Add it to millet flour and mix with the help of a wooden spoon or backside of ladle. Make sure no lumps are formed.
- Close it and keep aside for 5 mins. Grease your palm with oil and make small balls of dough.
- Take a idli cooker/steamer and steam cook the balls for 10 mins on medium flame. Remove from the heat and keep it aside. Dissolve rice flour in 3 tbsp water and keep aside. Heat 3 cup water in a pan and add powdered jaggery.
- Once jaggery is completely dissolved, add steamed millet balls and cook on low-medium flame for 10 mins till water is reduced to ¾.
- Now, add rice flour dissolved water and cook again for another 5-8 mins. Add cardamom powder and stir well. Now, you should get thick syrup. Remove from the heat and let it come to lukewarm stage. Add coconut milk and stir well. Serve hot / cold.