Aloo Bhujia / Potato Sev, today I’m sharing an easy to prepare Aloo Bhujia recipe made from besan, rice flour and potato. These are the major ingredients. You can replace besan with millet flour like ragi or bajra. I had already shared the recipe for Plain Sev and Ragi Sev & Poha chivda.
This is a simple recipe which can be prepared in less than 30 mins. Aloo Bhujia can be served as it is or It can be used in Diwali Mixture or any other Kara Mixture varieties. Similarly, you can also try adding it in any Chat Items or Thattu Vadai Set. The options are numerous. Make sure to store Sev in an airtight container. You will get 250 gms Bhujia for the below mentioned quantity. I’ve compiled 90+ varieties of Diwali Sweets & Snacks which you can refer later. If you try any of my recipes, please share your feedback.
Sweets which can be prepared from Besan are Kallu Mysore Pak, Ghee Mysore Pak, Dates Barfi, Mohanthal, Besan Ladoo, Besan Jaggery Ladoo, Besan Mawa Ladoo, Boondi Ladoo & Nan Khatai. Snacks which can be prepared from Besan are Ribbon Pakoda, Kara Boondi & Butter Murukku.
Aloo Bhujia Recipe Card
- 200 gms besan / gram flour / kadalai maavu
- 50 gms rice flour - store bought (or) homemade
- 100 gms mashed potato
- asofoetida / hing - few pinch
- chili powder - according to your need
- salt to taste
- water to knead
- Sieve besan and rice flour. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add asofoetida, chili powder and salt. Mix well. Add mashed potatoes. Add enough water and knead to a smooth dough.Now, Add 1 tbsp oil and knead again. If the dough is sticky, add 1 or 2 tsp rice flour and knead again. Close and keep aside for 15 mins.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed kadai. Keep ready the small holes plate which comes along with murukku press to prepare fine sev. Take murukku press and fill it with portion of dough.
- To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up immediately. Change the flame to low-medium and press the murukku press directly over oil in circular motion. Don’t over-crowd it.
- Prepare sev in batches and remove from the oil carefully. You can either serve the whole circular sev or crush it into small pieces. Use this sev to prepare Diwali mixture or any other Kara mixture variety. You can also use this sev to prepare Thattu Vadai Set.