Bitter Gourd & Sweet Potato Paratha, a healthy and filling paratha recipe prepared with an interesting combination of bitter gourd / karela & sweet potato. This is an another variety of indian flat-bread with lots of nutrition. I have used baby bitter gourd / midhi pavakkai peels. As we know, sweet potato are more healthy when compared to potato, so I made use of sweet potato here. This is a very easy and simple to prepare recipe. You have to combine all the ingredients and knead them together to a smooth dough like a regular paratha dough. Since, karela peels are blended well together with mashed sweet potatoes, it is hard to find that karela is hidden 🙂
Those who doesn’t like to add sweet potato, can replace it with potato or grated radish. Instead of mixing everything together, you can also make the stuffing separately like aloo paratha and prepare this. If you are looking for karela recipes, then don’t forget to check Karela, Capsicum & Egg Burji, Sweet & Sour Bitter Gourd Pickle, Karela Channa Dal Pulao and Bitter Gourd Curry. If you try this recipe or any other recipe from my blog, do share your feedback with us. It encourages us..
- 30 gms Pavakkai / Karela / bitter gourd peels
- 80 gms boiled & mashed sweet potato
- 2 cup wheat flour
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Asofoetida – a pinch
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp amchur powder / dry mango powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ginger-garlic paste
- Water to knead
- Blend karela peels till you get coarse paste. Sieve wheat flour and salt. Combine with karela peel paste, mashed sweet potatoes, turmeric powder, chili powder, ginger-garlic paste, cumin powder, garam masala, amchur and asofoetida in a mixing bowl.
- Add enough water and knead to a smooth dough. Close it and keep aside for 30 mins. Take the dough and divide into equal sized lemon shape balls.
- Take a ball and roll it using roller pin to form a thick disc like Paratha. Dust it with flour to avoid sticking. Heat a tava or frying pan.
- Cook Paratha applying little oil / ghee over both the sides till golden spots appear. Remove from the heat and proceed with the remaining dough. Serve Paratha with raita.