Thengai Poli / Obbattu, one of my favorite poli variety made from coconut and palm jaggery. Instead of maida, I have used wheat flour for the dough. This is very easy to prepare, but the only thing which takes time is to grate coconut. You can follow the method which I used to grate 250 gms coconut. Chop coconut into pieces and blend it in a mixer to coarse. It will sure reduce the preparation time.
I asked my grandma for the recipe and measurements. And my mom helped me to prepare this delicious poli which is also our family favorite. With the below mentioned quantity, you can prepare 15-16 poli. It will not be very soft like maida poli, since we have used wheat flour. So knead the dough for longer time to make it very soft and keep it aside for at least 2 hours for better result. I had already shared 2 varieties of poli, Sweet Carrot Poli & Koa Poli. For Diwali recipes, check my post on more than 70 varieties.
Thengai Poli Recipe
- 3 cup wheat flour
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- water to knead
- 250 gms grated coconut
- 160 gms powdered palm jaggery / karupati
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- Sieve wheat flour and salt. Transfer the flour to a mixing bowl and knead to a very soft dough adding enough water. Add ghee and knead again. Close it and keep aside for 2 hours. In the meanwhile, to prepare sweet stuffing, heat a pan or kadai. Add 1 tsp ghee.
- Now add grated coconut, cardamom powder and palm jaggery. Stir well everything on low flame for 5-8 mins till all the moisture is absorbed. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Take the dough and divide into equal sized balls.
- Take a plastic sheet or banana leaf. Grease with little oil. Take the sweet mixture and make small balls. Take a dough ball and flatten it a bit with your fingers. Keep the sweet ball at the center of the disc. Close it from all the sides and press over the greased plastic sheet or banana leaf. Now, press the ball to make poli. Poli should not be very thick or very thin.
- Heat a tava and place the prepared poli. apply ghee / oil all over the sides of poli and cook till brown spots appear on both the sides. Similarly proceed with the remaining.
- Store poli in an airtight container. If you are serving it on the same day, then keep poli at the room temperature. But, if you are going to serve it on the next day, then keep it in refrigerator and at the time of serving, bring poli to room temperature. Or you can reheat poli in microwave.