Bajra & Nuts Ladoo, a healthy combination of bajra / kambu and nuts (almonds, cashew & cashew) in cute little ladoo. The whole mixture is bound together with ghee / clarified butter. I have used organic buffalo milk ghee. The ghee smells so good and you can feel its rich aroma in every bite of this ladoo. There is no other perfect alternative to ghee when its about indian sweets.
Instead of bajra grains, you can try with bajra flour or any other millet flour. You can replace palm jaggery with dates or country sugar / naatu sakkarai. You can prepare 15 ladoo with the below mentioned quantity. Roasted bajra grains and nuts mixture gives nutty flavor. Other dry fruits & nuts with which you can try are walnuts, apricots, raisin, black raisin, etc. Similarly, you can also try adding sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.. to make it more healthy.
Some of the other healthy ladoo recipes shared in my blog are Sweet Corn & Bajra Ladoo, Jowar Dates Laddu, Little Millet Laddu, Porivilangai Urundai (Multigrain Ladoo) & Chimli Urundai. If you try any of the recipe, do share your feedback..
Bajra & Nuts Ladoo Recipe
- ¾ cup bajra / kambu / pearl millet grains
- ½ cup powdered palm jaggery / karupati
- 2 tbsp almonds / badam
- 2 tbsp cashew-nuts / kaju
- 1 tbsp pistachio
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 6-7 tbsp ghee
- Dry roast bajra till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Similarly, roast all the nuts in the same pan for few seconds and allow to cool. Blend roasted bajra in a mixer to coarse powder. Blend roasted nuts in a mixer to smooth powder.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan. Add roasted bajra flour and cardamom powder. Stir for few minutes on low flame. Then, add powdered jaggery and stir well everything. Cook for 2 mins. Now, add roasted nuts flour. Stir well.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee at a time and stir well. Cook until the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan. Remove from the heat and let it come to lukewarm stage. Start making round ladoo and store them in an airtight container.