Baked Paneer Kuthirvaali Cutlet, a healthy and guilt free cutlet / tikki prepared from paneer, potato and barnyard millet. This can be either deep fried or shallow fried or even prepared using paniyaram pan for low fat version. If using paniyaram pan, then you need to make round shapes.
Apart from potato, you can also try adding other vegetables like carrot, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, etc.. For non-vegetarian version, try adding minced chicken, mutton, crab meat or prawn. Since we have added paneer, after the cutlets get baked, the outer layer turns crispy and the inner layer turns cheesy. For vegan version, try replacing paneer with tofu. The barnyard millet can be replaced with kodo millet (varagu) or little millet (samai). For a more healthier option, replace potato with sweet potato.
The best way to enjoy this delicious and melt in mouth cutlets would be to serve with tamarind chutney and mint coriander chutney. Some of the cutlet recipes shared in my blog are Beetroot Chickpeas Cutlet, Minced Chicken Cutlet, Potato Peanut Cabbage Cutlet, Mixed Veg Paneer cutlet & Zucchini Paneer Sweet Potato Cutlet.
- 1 medium sized potato - boiled & mashed
- ½ cup grated paneer
- ¼ cup barnyard millet / kuthirvaali / jhangora
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 green chilies - according to your need
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- bread crumbs for coating
- Cook kuthirvaali millet with enough water for 10-15 mins on low flame till they become soft and mushy. Drain the water and transfer cooked millet to a mixing bowl. Combine all the mentioned ingredients except breadcrumbs.
- Blend them in a food processor to coarse paste or just mix everything with hands. Close it and keep it in refrigerator for 1 hour. Take the prepared paste and make small balls.
- Take a ball and press it lightly to form a thick disc. Spread enough bread crumbs on a plate. Coat the disc with breadcrumbs. Similarly, coat all other cutlets with the breadcrumb.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree C for 10 mins. Take a baking tray and place parchment paper or butter paper. Place all the cutlets and brush lightly with oil. Keep the tray in middle rack and bake for 15 mins.
- Take out the tray and turn over the cutlets carefully with a tablespoon. Brush again with little oil. At this stage, the cutlets will be very soft and might break if not handled carefully. Bake again for 15 mins or till they are done. Serve them hot with mint chutney.