Mixed Dal Murukku / Paruppu Murukku, today I’m sharing an other variety of murukku / chakli made from a combination of four dal (toor dal, channa dal, moong dal and urad dal). You can also include masoor dal. Adjust the ratio of dal accordingly. This is a vegan version and I’ve used cold pressed groundnut oil for deep frying which sure gives awesome result. For extra flavor, you can add mashed garlic.
With the below mentioned quantity you can prepare 450 gms of Dal Murukku. For more healthier option, try baking these murukku. You need to bake them at 160 degree C for 10-15 mins. For more details, check my post on Baked Millet Murukku. The measurement to follow while preparing murukku is 4:1 (rice + dal) just like idli / dosa. In this recipe, you can reduce the proportion of rice flour and mix with millet flour.
I have already few more varieties of Murukku, like, Potato Bajra Murukku, Butter Murukku, Samai Murukku, Garlic Murukku, Maida Murukku, Ring Murukku, Ragi Jowar Murukku, Mullu Murukku and Thenkuzhal Murukku. If you are looking for more recipes to try this Diwali, then do check my post on 90+ Diwali Recipes.
Paruppu Murukku Recipe
- 2 cup rice flour (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 tbsp urad dal / ultham paruppu / black gram
- 1 tbsp channa dal / kadalai paruppu / bengal gram
- 2 tbsp moong dal / payatham paruppu / whole green gram
- 1 tbsp toor dal / tuvaram paruppu / split pigeon peas
- ½ tbsp pottukadalai / roasted gram
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- salt to taste
- red chili powder - according to your need
- water to knead
- 2 tbsp warm oil (for kneading)
- Sieve rice flour and keep aside. Dry roast urad dal, channa dal, moong dal and toor dal for few seconds. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind all the dal and pottukadalai in a mixer to smooth powder. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Add rice flour to it. Mix well. Add chili powder, asofoetida and salt to taste. Now, Add warm oil and make crumbles of the flour mixture. Add enough water and knead to smooth dough. Close it and keep aside for 10 mins. Take the murukku press and put the dough inside. Press it to make swirls. Heat enough oil in a pan or kadai.
- Once it is hot, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should start making sizzling sound. Now put the murukku carefully in oil with the help of flat ladle. Cook till it turns golden brown on both the sides and oil sizzling sound stops. Similarly prepare all the murukku and store in an airtight container.