Wish you all my readers and friends a very Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year 2016…
Foxtail Millet Coconut Kheer, a healthy coconut milk payasam made from foxtail millet / thinai. This payasam can be tried with any millet variety, but thinai always goes well with the sweet / dessert. This recipe is easy to follow and prepare. I had prepared this recipe for the Dec 2015 issue of Complete Wellbeing Magazine under the topic “Coconut & Coconut Water” recipes. I shall also share the other recipes soon.
Here, I have used Milkmaid / Sweetened Condensed milk, but you can also use honey / sugar / jaggery according to your preference. But if you are planning to add jaggery, then do not add it at the time of cooking or it may look like curdle. To avoid that, once payasam is ready, switch off the flame and remove the pan from heat. Let it come to lukewarm stage and then mix jaggery. If you are planning to prepare payasam / kheer with rice (or) rava (or) sago, then try replacing them with this healthy millet. You will not get disappointed.
- 1 and ½ tbsp foxtail millet / thinai arisi / kangni (in Hindi)
- 150 ml thick coconut milk
- 40 ml coconut water
- 400 ml water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp milkmaid
- 1 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- Chopped almonds, cashews & raisins for garnishing
- Wash and soak millet in enough water for 20 mins. Heat a pan with 400 ml water. Once it starts boiling, add drained millet to it.
- Add 1 tsp ghee and stir well. Cook it on low medium flame for 10 mins. Add coconut water once millet is cooked and stir well.
- Now, add cardamom powder, coconut milk and switch to low flame. Stir well and cook for 5 mins. Add milkmaid and cook for another 3-5 mins. Switch off the flame.
- Heat remaining ghee in a pan. Add chopped nuts and raisin. Stir well. Add this to the prepared kheer. Serve it hot / cold.