Rava Tutti Frutti Cake, a healthy Christmas Fruit Cake recipe prepared by combining wheat semolina, powdered jaggery, egg, butter and candied fruits. Yes, I have not used flour here except for coating the candied fruits / tutti frutti. If you do not like butter, you can replace it with olive oil.
I must say thanks to one of my reader from Pondicherry who asked me to try Rava Fruit Cake. She tried my Rum Raisin Cake and replaced flour with semolina. I have not used any alcohol in this recipe and there is no need to soak fruits. Though, you can also try adding other nuts and fruits. I just made it simple by adding only tutti frutti. The dark brown color of this cake is due to the usage of powdered palm jaggery. You can replace it with brown sugar or honey. Similarly, instead of using wheat rava, try with regular rava. These are the variations which can be tried with this cake.
Some of the recipes which you can try this Christmas, Eggless Mawa & Tutti Frutti Sponge Cake, Bacardi Rum Soaked Fruit Cake, Christmas Fruit Cake, No Bake & No Soak Christmas Fruit Cake, Christmas Rum & Chocolate Balls, Candied Fruit Cookies & Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies.
- ¾ cup wheat rava / godhumai rava / wheat semolina
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ cup powdered jaggery
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup tutti frutti / candied fruits
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter plus 1 tbsp
- ¼ cup milk
- wheat flour (for dusting)
- Heat ½ tbsp butter in a pan and roast wheat rava till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mix few tsp of wheat flour with tutti frutti and keep aside.
- Take a bowl and add butter. Beat it using electric beater or hand whisk till smooth. Add eggs and beat again till you get smooth and creamy mixture.
- Add powdered jaggery and beat again till jaggery is completely dissolved. The mixture will look like curdled but you need not worry. Now, add milk and beat again. Keep aside.
- Mix roasted wheat rava with baking powder, cinnamon powder and tutti frutti. Add this mixture to the wet mixture and fold everything well.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree C for 10 mins. Take a cake or loaf pan. Grease with little butter and dust with wheat flour. Pour cake batter into the pan and level the top with a spatula. Keep the pan in middle rack and bake for 15 mins. The top will start changing its color to dark brown.
- Now, take a sheet of aluminium foil and cover the top of the pan. Bake again for another 20-25 mins or or till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Take out the cake from oven and let it cool for 10-15 mins.
- Now, remove cake from the pan carefully or slice the cake and then remove those slices from the pan. Serve it immediately or store in an airtight container.