Coconut Ghee Cake, a very simple and flavorful cake recipe with a rich aroma of desi ghee. This recipe was developed by me for the December 2015 edition of Complete Wellbeing Magazine along with the other 3 coconut based recipes. Apart from wheat flour, you can also try adding millet flour or oats for more healthy benefits. Try replacing brown sugar with palm jaggery or honey for variations.
This is a simple to follow cake which doesn’t require much efforts other than mixing the ingredients properly in the order. Those who doesn’t like ghee, can replace it with butter. I have used unsweetened desiccated coconut here. Before adding it to the cake, you can roast it with 1 tsp ghee, but this step is optional.
Some of the cake recipes which you can give a try, Rava Fruit Cake, Eggless Mawa & Tutti Frutti Sponge Cake, Honey Peanut Butter Cake, Steamed Orange Honey Cake & Eggless & Butterless Dates Cake. If you try any of our recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
- 90 gms whole wheat flour
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 and ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup ghee / clarified butter
- ¼ cup milk, plus extra if needed
- 1 tbsp coconut water
- Sieve wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and desiccated coconut. Mix everything well. Take another mixing bowl and add ghee and brown sugar. Whisk it and add vanilla essence. Beat again till smooth.
- Add coconut water and beat again. Now, Add milk and beat it. Add flour mixture to wet mixture and fold everything well. Now, Add 1 tbsp milk if the batter is too thick. Preheat oven to 180 degree C.
- Take a cupcake pan. Grease with ghee and dust with flour. Pour batter in each cups of the pan. Keep the pan in middle rack of the oven and bake at 180 degree C for 15 mins. If the cake is not done, then reduce the temperature to 160 degree C and bake till done. Serve hot.