Vegan Bajra Sugarcane Cake Recipe (Eggless & Butterless), a very healthy and unusual combination of pearl millet, sugarcane and pumpkin in a cake. I have used organic pumpkin and sugarcane from our farm. I do get lot of request for sharing the recipe of vegan cake, so here I’m with one of my creation. When its about cake, my family prefers buttery cake, so this cake is exact opposite to that but it didn’t disappoint my family’s requirement as there would be no comprise in the taste. The cake is soft, moist and dense and loaded with nutritional benefits.
I would suggest my readers to use fresh sugarcane juice and pumpkin puree which gives an unique taste n flavor to this cake. I have shared a recipe for how to extract sugarcane juice at home using mixie and also to prepare pumpkin puree. Bajra / Pearl Millet can be replaced by Ragi / Oats / Foxtail Millet. Some of the healthy cake recipes shared in blog, Vegan Pumpkin Gingerbread, Samai Peanut Butter Brownies (Steamed Version), Eggless Amla, Coconut & Jaggery Cake & Eggless & Butterless Dates Cake. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup bajra / kambu maavu / pearl millet flour
- 1 and ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup powdered palm jaggery / karupati
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup fresh sugarcane juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh pumpkin puree
- Beat pumpkin puree and palm jaggery in a mixing bowl using hand whisk or electric beater until smooth. Add vanilla essence and give a whisk. Now, add sugarcane juice and vinegar. Beat it again. Finally, add olive oil and beat again.
- Sieve wheat flour, bajra flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add dry mixture to the wet mixture and fold everything well. Preheat oven at 180 degree C for 10 mins. Grease a cake or loaf pan with olive oil and dust with flour. Pour the batter into pan and keep in oven. Bake for 25-30 mins or till the cake is done.
- Check the cake by inserting a toothpick at the center. It should come out clean. Remove pan from the oven. Let it rest for 2 mins. Transfer the cake carefully to the cooling rack and let it cool down completely. Slice the cake and serve.