Mini Strawberry Podi Idli, a spicy and healthy tea time snacks recipe, easy to prepare and can be also packed for lunch. Mini Idli can be tried with many flavors like mint, curry leaves or with any vegetable puree. Strawberry Mini Idli is flavored with Idli Milagai Podi, so there is not need to add chilies while tempering. This is a very simple and straight forward recipe which can be even tried by Bachelors. Strawberry Puree is added to the left over Idli batter and steamed till done. Those idli are coated with milagai podi and tempered with the below mentioned ingredients. This is a vegan friendly and gluten free recipe.
For more health benefits, try preparing mini idli with millet idli batter. To prepare Mini Idli, use mini idli which can be bought from any utensil shop. If you do not get it at your place, then try preparing regular idli and chop them into small pieces. Some of the recipes I have tried with mini Idli, Mini Idli Bajji, Mini Idli Egg Fry & Mini Idli Sambar. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
- 1 and ½ cup Idli batter
- ¼ cup strawberry puree
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp channa dal / kadala paruppu / split bengal gram
- 15-20 curry leaves
- 1 tsp urad dal / ultham paruppu / split black gram
- Idli Milagai Podi - according to your need
- gingelly oil
- salt to taste
- Mix strawberry puree with idli batter. To prepare mini Idli, fill the idli cooker or steamer with water. Grease mini idli plate with little oil and pour tablespoon of idli batter in each cups. Keep the plate in cooker / steamer once water starts boiling.
- Steam cook for 10 mins. Remove Idli carefully from the plate with the help of a spoon and proceed with the remaining batch of idli batter. I got 50 mini idli.
- Take a bowl and add required amount of idli milagai podi. Coat mini idli with the podi and make sure it is coated on both the sides. Heat 2 tsp gingelly oil in a pan or kadai. Temper mustard seeds, channa dal, urad dal & curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and cook for few seconds. Now, add asofoetida and salt to taste. Stir well. Add podi coated mini idli and stir well everything. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from the heat. Serve hot.