Moong Dal Halwa, a rich north Indian style dessert made from split moong dal, milk, ghee and sugar / jaggery. This halwa is made during winter season as it tends to keep body warm. Do not hesitate to add ghee as it enhances the flavor of the dish. I have tried this halwa with jaggery, but those wish to add sugar, can replace jaggery with sugar.
While grinding soaked moong dal, make sure to not add water. The halwa can last upto a week if refrigerated. Dry fruits like pistachio, cashew nuts or almonds can be used for garnishing. Serve this halwa hot or cold for evening dessert with a cup of chai. I have not tried this halwa with whole moong dal, but if you would like to try, then after soaking, remove the skin of dal and proceed with the remaining steps as usual.
I have also shared the recipe of Moong Dal & Mango Halwa. If you are looking more Halwa varieties, then do check my recipes, Vegan Carrot Halwa, Bread Milk Halwa, Khubani ka Meetha, Rice Coconut Halwa, Beetroot Dates Halwa & Wheat Halwa. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
Moong Dal Halwa Recipe
- ½ cup Split Moong Dal / Pasi Paruppu / Split Green Gram
- ½ cup warm milk
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- ½ cup powdered jaggery
- 5-6 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- dry fruits - for garnishing
- Soak moong dal in enough water for 6-8 hours or overnight. Next day, drain water completely and blend moong dal without any water in a mixer to smooth paste. Do not add any water while grinding. Heat 4 tbsp ghee in a pan.
- Add smooth dal paste and switch to low flame. Stir frequently and cook till you get crumbles of the dal paste. Now, add cardamom powder and stir well. Add milk and switch to low medium flame. Stir well and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add powdered jaggery and stir well. Now, add 1 tbsp ghee at a time and cook till it starts leaving the sides of the pan. Garnish with chopped dry fruits like almonds, cashew or pistachio. Serve hot or cold.