Nenju Elambu Soup, a healthy south Indian style Soup / Rasam prepared with Lamb Rib Bones or Nenju Elambu. This can be either called as soup or rasam. Instead of using pressure cooker to prepare this soup, you can try with stock pot but it will take lot of time to cook. In addition to rib bones, you can also add vegetables like carrot, beans, etc.. but there would be a change in the taste. For the authentic taste, try with lamb rib bones. You can also add lamb leg along with rib bones. I have added spice powders which are not freshly ground.
Though this soup is high in fat, it is healthy and good enough to cure cold and cough. Whenever we are down with flu, I try to prepare either lamb soup or crab soup which gives more relief compared to chicken soup. We add more pepper in the soup. Some of the soup recipes shared in my blog, Kongu Nadu style Chicken soup, Chettinadu Kozhi Rasam, Egg Drop Soup, Nandu Rasam, Aathu Kaalu soup. If you try any of our recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Nenju Elambu Soup Recipe Card
- 200 gms nenju elambu/ lamb rib bone
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 or 2 tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder / jeera
- 1 tsp saunf / fennel seeds
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 4 cup water
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 dry red chilies
- Clean and wash rib bone. Marinate with turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 mins. Wash it again and keep aside. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds, fennel seeds and 5-8 curry leaves. Add broken red chilies.
- Stir well. Add chopped onion and ginger-garlic paste. Stir well. Add tomato and mash the pulp. Now, Add lamb rib bones, turmeric powder, pepper powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and stir well everything.
- Add water and salt to taste. Close the lid and pressure cook for 11-13 whistles. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Add coriander leaves and check for salt n spice. Adjust accordingly and serve hot.