Panchratan Dal Adai Paniyaram is a healthy and protein rich evening snacks recipe which can also be packed for kid’s lunch. Panchratan or Panchmel Dal is nothing but a mixed combination of Channa Dal, Toor Dal, Moong Dal, Urad Dal & Masoor Dal. Instead of Rice as main ingredient, I have used Barnyard Millet / Kuthirvali. Kuthirvali can be replaced by any millet grains. The adai batter is used here to prepare Paniyaram. You can either use this batter to prepare Adai (similar to Dosa) or Paniyaram. If preparing Adai, add little bit more water to prepare batter of neither thick nor thin consistency. Few coconut pieces can be also added along with the other ingredients while blending them. For better results, serve this hot with coconut chutney or mint chutney.
I have also shared the recipe of Sweet Corn Adai. Some of the Dosa recipes shared in my blog, Tapioca Dosa, Eral Masala Dosa, Barley & Brown Rice Dosa, Mudakathan Keerai / Balloon Vine Leaves Dosa, Oatmeal Dosa, Ragi Dosa & Egg Dosa. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
- ¾ cup Barnyard Millet / Kuthirvali
- ¾ cup Panchratan Dal Mix (Channa Dal, Toor Dal, Moong Dal, Urad Dal, Masoor Dal)
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 2 green chilies – chopped
- 5-8 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp. chopped mint leaves
- 1 inch ginger
- Salt to taste
- Asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- Oil for frying
- Soak Millet in enough water for 3 hours. Similarly, soak panchratan dal mix in enough water for 3 hours. Drain the water completely. Combine millet and dal mixture. Blend millet-dal mixture, ginger, chilies, mint and curry leaves in a mixer to smooth batter. Add little water while blending. Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped onion, asofoetida and salt to taste. Mix well everything. Add enough water to the batter and make batter of thick consistency similar to idli batter. Heat Paniyaram pan on low-medium flame.
- Pour 1 tsp oil into each cavities of the pan. Now, put 1 tbsp of batter into each cavity till it is half filled. Close the pan with a lid and cook on low-medium flame. After 2 or 3 mins, open the lid and turn over each Paniyaram to allow it to cook. Once each Paniyaram is cooked, remove from the pan and pour another batch of batter. Serve Paniyaram with coconut chutney.