Rajma Dalia Coconut Kanji, a healthy thick porridge recipe prepared from mashed rajma, broken wheat / daliya, oats and coconut milk with a pinch of garam masala. Serve this warm with toasted bread for breakfast or dinner.
Rajma can be replaced by any lentils like white channa, toor dal, moong dal, etc.. This is purely a vegan recipe which doesn’t have any cream added. There is no need to add corn flour for the thickness, as the mashed rajma makes this soup very thick. If you doesn’t like to add cloves or cardamom, you can totally skip that. For extra flavor, try adding few chopped mint leaves. To make this soup more healthy, add chopped vegetables like carrot, beans and cabbage. With added vegetables, this becomes a whole meal soup and even more filling. This recipe was also developed for Complete Wellbeing Magazine. Some of the healthy porridge recipes to try this winter, Chicken Oats Porridge, Barley Kanji & Saamai Millet Kanji.
- ¼ cup broken wheat / daliya
- ¼ cup oats
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- ¼ cup coconut water
- 3 cup water
- Black pepper powder – according to your need
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp ginger-garlic paste
- Asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp rajma / red kidney beans
- 2 cloves
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- Soak rajma overnight in water. Next day, wash rajma and pressure cook with enough water for 10 whistles. Once pressure settles down, mash rajma beans and keep aside. Grind broken wheat, oats, cloves and cinnamon to coarse powder. Transfer this powder to a bowl. Add coconut water and coconut milk to it and mix well.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add mashed rajma beans and ginger-garlic paste. Stir well. Add pepper powder, asofoetida, garam masala and stir well everything. Now, add coconut milk soaked ground powder. Stir frequently to avoid any lumps. Now, add water and salt to taste. Cook it on low flame for 15 mins till you get thick porridge like consistency. Serve hot or cold.