Channa Dal Kosambari is a south Indian style Salad recipe usually served on special occasions like marriages. It is basically prepared by mixing vegetables and soaked pulses & then followed by tempering. This is a typical south indian style preparation and I have added lots of curry leaves. Moong dal, Channa Dal or Dal Sprouts are generally added as main ingredients. Vegetables tends to leave water after some time of resting. So it is advisable to add salt at the time of serving. Adding paneer cubes is totally optional. To make it vegan salad, skip paneer. Grated Coconut can also be added along with the other ingredients. You can also try adding cooked barley or millets in this salad to make it more filling and also healthy.
I do not try salad recipes, since no one in our family likes salad except for raita. But I’m planning to share more number of salad recipes as summer has already started here. Salad are not only healthy, but also easy to prepare. I have shared only two Salad recipes till now, Chicken Barley Salad & Sprouted Green Gram Salad. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
- ¼ cup Channa Dal / Split Bengal Gram – soaked in water for 3 hours
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup grated raw mango
- ¼ cup grated beetroot
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- 2 green chilies – finely chopped
- ¼ cup small paneer cubes – toasted
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- Asofoetida – a pinch
- 10-15 curry leaves
- Soak Channa Dal in enough water for minimum 2-3 hours. Now, drain the water completely and grind channa dal in a mixer till you get coarse paste or use ammi kallu (masala grinding stone).
- Take a mixing bowl. Add ground channa dal, grated carrot, grated beetroot, chopped cucumber, grated raw mango, chopped chilies & toasted paneer cubes. Mix everything well.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and asofoetida. Add this to salad. Now, mix everything well. You can now adjust salt and spice by adding pepper powder.