Indian Style Mashed Pumpkin / Kaddu ki Sabzi, a very healthy, easy to prepare and vegan friendly mashed pumpkin recipe made in south Indian style. The dish is flavored with turmeric powder and no masala is added. I learnt this simple recipe from my mother in law who prepares very simple dishes for the family, yet they taste so unique and delicious.
I have used home grown organic pumpkin for the recipe. Removing its skin is optional, but since its home grown, we do not remove its skin and wash the pumpkin very carefully to remove all the mud and dirt. This is a simple to follow recipe which doesn’t require much ingredients. Pumpkin cubes are stir fried with onion and chilies till you get a mashed mixture. It goes very well with dal rice. But I like to eat is without any main dish. For additional flavors, add chopped mint leaves.
Some of the simple and unique side dish recipes shared in my blog, Potato & Apple Fry, Figs & Potato Fry, Achari Gobhi & Brussels Sprouts, Beetroot Channa Stir-Fry, Raw Banana Peanut Fry & Juicy Masala Paneer. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
- 500 gms yellow pumpkin cubes with skin
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 2 green chilies - chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- Wash pumpkin and dice to cubes. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Cook for a minute on low medium flame. Add pumpkin cubes and stir well.
- Now, add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Cook it covered for 5 minutes. Add water and cook it covered for another 10-12 minutes or till all the moisture is absorbed. In this gap, stir the pumpkin occasionally and mash them with ladle. Serve hot with rice and curry.