Beetroot Soya Chunks Biryani, a vegan friendly, gluten free and healthy south Indian style Biryani recipe flavored with coconut milk and fresh ground coriander powder. Beetroot can be replaced by cauliflower, paneer, tofu, broccoli, carrot, beans or green peas. For non-veg version, try with chicken, mutton, crab meat or prawns. Prepare this delicious Biryani for the weekend and serve hot with onion raita and brinjal pachadi.
For Biryani lovers, there is a special page on my blog dedicated for Biryani which you can refer later to try different varieties of homemade Biryani. I always depend on fresh ground biryani masala powder or coriander powder for my recipes. They give a unique flavor to the dish. Adding tomato is totally optional here. Soya chunks look a like mutton pieces, beetroot and soya chunks combine together well in this biryani recipe.
Some of the side-dish recipes you can try with this Biryani, Pattani Salna, Egg Paneer Onion Masala, Spicy Muttai Kurma, Gobhi Methi Matar Kurma & Pindi Chole. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
- 1 and ½ cup Seeraga Samba Rice (or) Basmati Rice – soaked in enough water for 20 mins
- 1 medium sized beetroot – chopped
- 15-20 soya chunks – soaked in warm water for 20 mins
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – finely chopped
- 2 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 chopped green chili
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 cloves
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp shah-jeera / black cumin seeds
- Soak soya chunks in warm water for 20 mins. Squeeze water from the soya chunks and chop them. Blend mint and coriander leaves in a mixer adding 2 tbsp water. Keep it aside. Heat 3 tbsp groundnut oil in a Handi. Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and shah-jeera.
- Now, Add chopped onions and green chilies. Cook for a minute till it turns golden brown. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Now, Add chopped beetroot and soya chunks. Stir well.
- Add ground mint-coriander paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Stir well everything and add little salt. Add 1 cup water and cook it covered for 10 mins.
- Add coconut milk and ½ cup water. Once it starts boiling, add rice, lemon juice and salt to taste. Mix well everything and cook it covered on low-medium flame till rice is done. Serve biryani with onion raita and brinjal pachadi.