Broken Wheat Kheer / Godhumai Rava Payasam, a simple yet rich and delicious indian style pudding / kheer / payasam prepared from broken wheat / godhumai rava and sweetened with condensed milk. For healthy version, replace condensed milk with palm jaggery. For vegan version, replace milk with coconut milk and ghee with oil.
I had been away from blogging since last few weeks because of some personal and health issues. Thanks to all my well wishers for inquiring about my absence. I’m slowly trying to get back to my regular routine. Coming to the recipe, this payasam can also be tried with semolina / rava. Once payasam comes to room temperature, it thickens a bit and appears more like phirni. For this hot weather, serve this chilled for dinner.
Some of the payasam / kheer varieties shared in my blog, Varagu Semiya & Sabja Seeds Payasam, Foxtail Millet Coconut Payasam, Oats Mango Phirni, Gobhi Sabja Kheer & Channa Dal Kheer. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Broken Wheat Kheer Recipe
- 2 tbsp Daliya (Bulgar / Broken Wheat / Godhumai Rava)
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- 250 ml milk
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds powder
- dry fruits - for garnishing
- 2 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- Heat milk in a pan. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp ghee in another pan and roast broken wheat for few minutes till you get nice aroma. Remove from the heat. Switch to low-medium flame once milk starts boiling and add roasted broken wheat.
- Stir well and let it cook on low flame for 8-10 minutes. Add cardamom powder and stir well. Now, Add condensed milk and give a stir. Let it cook for another 2 minutes and remove from the heat. Roast dry fruits like cashew and raisin with 1 tbsp ghee and add this to the kheer. Serve kheer hot or cold.