Ram Ladoo / Moong Dal Pakora is a famous street food of Delhi. I have made these ladoo using paniyaram pan with less oil for healthier version. You can also deep fry them or bake. These ladoo are not sweet, they are savory ones prepared from the combination of channa dal and split moong dal, garnished with grated radish and green chutney. You can also use tamarind chutney for little sourness. Serve this hot with a hot cup of chai / tea.
Apart from grated radish, you can also add grated raw mango or carrot for the garnishing. Deep fried laddu will be more crispier compared to paniyaram fried ones. But when served with both the chutney, you will hardly notice any difference. You can either serve this as evening snacks or pack for kids lunch box. I have shared many varieties of pakoda / bajji / bonda in my blog, some of them, Apple Bhaji, Maravalli Kizhangu Bonda, Rajma Sago Fritters, Mag ni Dal na Bhajjia & Kalmi Bare. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Ram Ladoo Recipe Card
- ¾ cup split yellow moong dal / siru paruppu
- ¼ cup channa dal / kadala paruppu / split bengal gram
- 2 green chilies
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup grated radish
- Chaat masala (or) Kala Namak
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp amchur powder / dry mango powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 green chili
- Soak moong dal and channa dal separately in enough water for 2-3 hours. Grind channa dal, chili and ginger in a mixie to smooth paste without adding water. Similarly, grind split moong dal in a mixie to smooth paste. Combine both the paste along with salt and chopped coriander leaves. Keep it aside.
- To Prepare Chutney, grind all the ingredients mentioned under “For Chutney” to smooth paste adding little water. Transfer to a bowl. To Prepare Ram Ladoo, heat paniyaram pan on low-medium flame. Pour 1 tsp oil into each cavities of the pan. Now, put 1 tbsp of batter into each cavity till it is half filled.
- Close the pan with a lid and cook on low-medium flame. After 2 or 3 mins, open the lid and turn over each ladoo to allow it to cook. Once each ladoo is cooked, remove from the pan and pour another batch of batter. At the time of serving, assemble ram ladoo in a plate or bowl. Pour green chutney and garnish with grated radish. Sprinkle chat masala or black salt and serve.