Whole Moong Dal Vada Recipe / Moong Dal Pakora / Pakoda, a crispy, protein-rich and delicious evening tea time snacks made from whole moong dal and channa dal. For additional flavors, chopped curry leaves or coriander leaves or spinach or shredded carrot can be added to the batter. Serve this Vada with coconut chutney or green chutney.
Instead of whole moong dal, you can also try with split moong dal. To make this vada healthy, you can fry them in paniyaram pan. This is vegan friendly and gluten free recipe. For better results, always serve vada hot with chutney. The recipe may look similar to Ram Ladoo. In ram ladoo, we have used split moong dal and here we have used whole moong dal. The texture will surely differ. Some of the vada recipes shared in my blog, Soya Beans Dahi Vada, Stuffed Dahi Vada, Thinai Masala Vadai, Baked Vallarai Keerai Masala Vadai & Vazhaipoo Masala Vadai. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
How to prepare Moong Dal Pakora
- ½ cup whole moong dal / payatham paruppu / whole green gram
- ¼ cup channa dal / kadalai paruppu / split bengal gram
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 2 green chilies – finely chopped
- ½ tsp ginger-garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Asofoetida – a pinch
- Oil – for deep frying
- Combine moong and channa dal in a bowl. Fill it with enough water and soak them overnight. Next day, drain the water completely and grind them in a mixer to coarse paste. Do not add water while grinding.
- Transfer the paste to a bowl. Add chopped onions, chilies, ginger-garlic paste, asofoetida and salt to taste. Mix well everything and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed Kadai. Once oil is hot, make small balls of the Vada batter and drop in hot oil carefully. Fry till it turns golden brown and crispy. Remove them carefully from oil and drain the excess oil using absorbent tissue paper. Serve hot with coconut chutney.