Bajra Dal Cheela / Kambu Adai / Pearl Millet & Lentils Crepe, a healthy and wholesome protein packed Cheela / Adai recipe which goes well with peanut coconut chutney. This is a vegan friendly and gluten free recipe. You can also add one or two combinations of millets to make it more healthy and nutritious. If using bajra grains, then soak them in enough water for 5-6 hours and grind together with other soaked dal. Bajra can be replaced by Ragi or other millets. If you do not have whole urad dal, then replace it with split urad dal.
There is no need to ferment the batter. Soak & grind the lentils and millet and then use it to prepare quick adai / cheela / chilla. The more oil you add, the more moist it will be. For better results, always serve it hot. You can also make it without adding any oil. Some of the adai recipes shared in my blog, Panchratan Dal Adai Paniyaram, Sweet Corn Adai, Lauki Moong Dal Cheela & Moong Dal Cheela. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Bajra Dal Cheela
- ½ cup whole green gram / payatham paruppu / whole moong dal
- ¼ cup channa dal / kadala paruppu / split bengal gram
- ¼ cup whole urad dal
- ½ cup bajra flour / kambu maavu / pearl millet flour
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 2 green chilies – chopped
- 1 inch ginger – chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- salt to taste
- Soak whole green gram, channa dal and whole urad dal together in enough water for 5 hours. Wash and drain dal. Blend dal, ginger, coriander leaves and chilies in a mixer to smooth batter adding enough water. Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl. Add rice flour, bajra flour, salt and asofoetida. Add water if needed and prepare batter just like of dosa batter consistency.
- Heat a Tava or frying pan. Take a ladleful of batter and pour over the Tava. Spread the batter in circular motion from inside out. Pour a tsp of oil / ghee all over the sides of cheela and cook till it turns golden brown on both the sides. Serve it hot with chutney.