Kolhapuri Egg Curry, today we will see how to prepare easy and delicious Kolhapuri style Egg Curry where the base masala plays a major role. Kolhapur is a city in the state of Maharashtra. I’ve never heard about this city until I saw this recipe in a blog while looking for egg curries. I have referred ChefdeHome blog for the recipe.
To prepare Kolhapuri Egg Curry, you need to first cook the ingredients required for the base masala, grind it and cook along with boiled and peeled eggs. The whole recipe method is simple to follow. Vegetarians can try this curry with paneer, cauliflower, mushroom, soya chunks or a mix of vegetables like carrot, beans & peas. Vegans can replace paneer with tofu. For non-vegetarians, the same base masala can be used to prepare chicken curry / mutton curry / prawn curry.
As we know, Egg is an important source of protein. Those on weight loss diet can discard egg yolk and make this curry with egg whites. The best way to serve this curry would be with roti / chapati or even dosa. Since, this is a thick curry, it goes well with flat bread. But if you would like to serve this with rice, then make it little watery. I’m not sure if this is the original recipe for Kolhapuri Egg Curry, but it sure tastes delicious.
Another way to include eggs, instead of adding hard boiled eggs, try with raw eggs, similar to the egg drop curry.( After preparing ground masala, stir it with 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add water and once it starts boiling, break the eggs and drop in the curry.)
Some of the other egg curry recipes shared in my blog, Quail Eggs Curry, Egg Masoor Dal, Egg Saalna, Mustard Egg Curry & Spicy Andhra Style Egg Curry. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
How to prepare Kolhapuri Egg Curry
- For Kolhapuri Masala:
- 1 onion – chopped
- 1 tomato – chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 green chili
- 2 dry red chilies
- ¼ cup chopped coconut
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp poppy seeds / khus khus
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- For Curry:
- 4 eggs – hard boiled, shell removed and make slits
- 1 cup water
- Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, peppercorns, khus khus and dry chilies. Saute a while.
- Add chopped onion and green chili. Cook for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes and stir well. Now, add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while.
- Add chopped coconut, turmeric powder and garam masala. Stir well everything and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Blend the mixture in a mixer grinder or food processor to smooth paste. Add 1 or 2 tbsp water. Heat 2 tbsp oil in the same pan.
- Fry eggs and add ground masala paste. Adjust salt and add water. Mix well everything and cook for 10-15 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or roti.