Onion Paratha, how to prepare pyaaz ka paratha at home with simple steps. Paratha is an indian style flat bread filled with the masala. The masala can be veg or non veg. For veg, you can try with soya chunks masala, cabbage masala, potato filling, paneer or mushroom. The options are numerous. Similarly, for non veg, try with chicken or mutton keema.
To prepare onion paratha, you need simple and basic ingredients like onion, chilies, turmeric powder and jeera. The filling masala should be very dry and doesn’t contain any moisture or it would be difficult to prepare paratha. There are two methods to prepare onion paratha. Follow the below mentioned method of preparing the masala and use it for filling or knead wheat flour with the masala or you can also use the raw ingredients instead of cooking. Any method can be followed according to your preference.
I’ve recently started taking an online course on Diet and Nutrition, which I find it to be very useful and hope to share the same with my readers. To make the paratha more healthy, try mutigrain flour instead of just wheat flour to improve the nutritional value. Prepare multi-grain atta at home or you can get it more stores.
Pyaaz / Onion Paratha goes very well with plain raita or try with carrot or any other vegetable raita to make it more filling. It can be served for breakfast or dinner or as snacks. The same onion filling can be used to prepare Masala Dosa. Some of the paratha recipes shared in my blog, Bajra Gobi Matar Paratha, Mutton Keema Paratha, Aloo, Gobi aur Matar Paratha & Aloo Paratha. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
How to Prepare Onion Paratha
- For Dough:
- 2 cup wheat flour
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- For Filling Masala:
- 1 big onion - finely chopped
- 2 green chilies - finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- To Prepare Masala :
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or wok / kadhai. Temper mustard seeds. Add chopped onion and green chilies. Saute a while.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt to taste. Stir well everything and cook it for 5-8 mins. Finally, add chopped coriander leaves and remove from the heat.
- To Prepare Paratha :
- Sieve wheat flour and salt. Add enough water and knead to smooth dough. Now, add oil and knead again. Close it and keep aside for 20 mins.
- Make small balls of the dough. Take a ball and flatten it in the shape of a disc. Fill it with spoonful of masala and close all the sides. Dust it with wheat flour and roll it to form the shape of a round paratha.
- Similarly proceed with other balls. Heat a tava and apply ghee/oil. Cook paratha and once brown spots appear, turn the other side of paratha and apply ghee/oil.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and proceed with the remaining. Serve paratha with raita. You can refrigerate the remaining dough and use it within 2 days.