Aval Kesari, today we will see how to prepare Poha Halwa / Sheera using Palm Jaggery. Aval is also known Poha or Beaten Rice. Prepare healthy Aval Halwa recipe in this festival season.
We use Aval to prepare Upma, Chivda, Ladoo, Paal Aval or even Payasam. Aval provides too many nutritional benefits. Some of which are they are easy to digest and light to stomach. Although they are light, you will not feel hunger for some time. They are rich in carbohydrate, so obviously they provide good energy to our system. Another important factor is they are rich in tron. So Aval is a complete package of nutrition.
I have prepared halwa using jaggery. Those who doesn’t like the taste of jaggery can replace it with sugar or even dates. To convert it into vegan-friendly, replace ghee with oil. Aval Halwa recipe is very simple. Dry roast aval for few seconds and grind to coarse rava like consistency. Cook it with jaggery and water till you get halwa consistency. It stays well for a day.
Instead of water, you can also try adding milk or coconut milk, which will give you a different taste. But since we are using jaggery here, cook it accordingly as it may curdle milk.
I have recently shared a post on 26 Halwa recipes in my blog, which you can refer. Some of the recipes I tried with Aval / Poha, Milagu Aval Upma, Aval Ladoo & Poha Chivda. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Aval Kesari Recipe Card
- ¾ cup poha / aval / beaten rice
- 1 and ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- ½ cup powdered palm jaggery
- 1 tbsp chopped cashew nuts
- 3-4 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Aval Kesari / Poha Halwa
- Dry roast aval in a kadhai on low-medium flame for few seconds. Do not roast it long. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in a mixer to coarse rava like consistency. Heat same kadhai and add 1 tsp ghee. Roast ground aval for few seconds. Add cardamom powder and stir well.
- Now, add water slowly and stir the mixture continuously to avoid lumps. Switch to low-medium flame and cook. Add powdered jaggery once halwa starts leaving the sides of kadai. Stir it well till jaggery is completely dissolved.
- Allow to mixture to cook for a while. Add 1 or 2 tsp ghee as the halwa starts leaving the sides of pan. Cook for a minute and switch off the flame. Roast cashews in 1 tsp ghee and add this to halwa. Mix halwa very well and serve hot.