Manpaanai Kalan Biryani, how to prepare south indian style mushroom biryani in a clay pot with step by step pictures.
Oyster Mushroom are rich in protein, iron and packed with lots of nutrients. We use mushroom to prepare pulav / biryani, gravy / curry, soup or fritters. I have so far tried only button mushroom, but trying oyster mushroom was something to me. My husband told me how they use this mushroom to prepare simple soup. They pluck one or two mushroom from the field and prepare thin clear soup. I didn’t get the recipe yet, but will sure update here once tried. Till then, lets enjoy this delicious Biryani made using clay pot / manpaanai.
I have already shared the recipe for hyderabad style veg biryani made using clay pot. Follow the method explained below and enjoy this rustic biryani. I have added garam masala. You can substitute with biryani masala powder or use spices on the whole. When cooking mushroom, do not add water or salt as they leave moisture content. This biryani is easy to prepare and you need not worry about anything whether the clay pot will work fine. Use biryani making pot if you are not comfortable with clay pot.
If you are looking for mushroom based recipes, then check Mushroom Spinach Biryani, Tandoori Mushroom Tikka, Mushroom Vindaloo, Mushroom Tikka Masala & Mushroom Almond Gravy. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Kalan Biryani Recipe Card
- To Grind:
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- For Biryani:
- 200 gms oyster mushroom
- 1 cup seeraga sambar rice - soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 2 onions- chopped
- 1 small tomato
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 tbsp ghee
- 1 and ½ tbsp garam masala
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- Please check below for the instructions.
How to prepare Mushroom Biryani
- Grind mint and coriander leaves without adding any water. Keep it aside. Prepare coconut milk and keep aside. Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a clay pot. Add chopped onions and saute a while. Now, Add chopped tomato and give a stir.
- Add mint-coriander paste and ginger garlic paste. Give a stir. Add cut mushroom, turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala. Mix well everything and cook it covered on low-medium flame for 5-8 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and coconut milk. Mix well everything and allow to boil. Now, add washed and drained rice, lemon juice, 1 tbsp ghee and salt to taste. Stir well everything and cook it covered for another 8-10 minutes. Keep checking frequently once after 2-3 minutes if the water level reduced. We do not want the biryani to get burnt at the bottom.
- Once rice is 3/4th cooked, switch flame to low and keep a tava on stove top. Now, keep the biryani pot above tava and cook it covered on low-medium for another 10 minutes. Switch off the flame and do not disturb the pot. At the time of serving, open the lid and mix everything with a fork. Serve biryani with raita or any veg / non-veg gravy.