Sundakkai Cutlet Recipe, today I’m sharing a very healthy and an unusual combination of Turkey Berry and Sweet Potato in cutlet / tikki. This is easy to prepare and also vegan friendly.
Sundakkai / Turkey Berry is a very healthy and highly nutritious vegetable which we should include frequently in our diet. I’m not sure if its a fruit or vegetable 🙂 Fresh Sundakkai are mostly neglected by kids or many elders because of its bitter taste. Even I was like that in my childhood. We had sundakkai plant in our garden but we never used it to prepare any dish. If my mom prepares kuzhambu with sundakkai, we will pick those berries and keep aside. But after attending nutrition class few months back, I learnt its health benefits and started to include them at least once a week. Whereas, I have used dried ones to prepare vatha kuzhambu but I dont buy it more often.
I tried this combo of sweet potato and turkey berry which worked out very well. You would never be able to guess that sundakkai is used in this cutlet. Even kids would love this cutlet. Just make it crunchy and serve with mint chutney or tomato sauce. They will easily gobble up. You can also prepare chapati rolls by stuffing with sundakkai cutlet and adding few sliced vegetables.
The cutlet dough will turn sticky if there is water content. Mine turned out sticky. I had no bread crumbs to adjust so made use of aval / poha powder and it worked out excellent. So if the dough is sticky, add a few tbsp of bread crumbs or poha powder and knead again. You can also add maida.
Some of the recipes tried with sundakkai, Sundakkai Nethili Kuzhambu and Sundakkai Vatha Kuzhambu. Do check out this space for more sundakkai based recipes. If you try any of my recipes, do leave your feedback.
Sundakkai Cutlet Recipe
- 50 gms or 30-40 fresh green sundakkai / turkey berry
- 1 cup boiled and mashed sweet potato
- 2 tbsp besan / kadalai maavu
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp amchur powder / dry mango powder
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera powder
- 3-4 tbsp aval powder / poha powder (grind poha in mixie)
- aval powder - for coating
- salt to taste
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Sweet Potato and Turkey Berry Patties
- Take sundakkai, wash them and grind in a mixer to 2 pulse. Transfer to a bowl. Add mashed sweet potato, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala, cumin powder, amchur powder, salt, besan and aval powder. Mix well everything and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a skillet or tava. Pour one or 2 tbsp of oil. Take cutlet dough and make small balls. Take a ball and press it lightly with your fingers to form a disc. Coat this with aval powder and shallow fry till it turns golden brown on both the sides. Similary the other batches. If you want to bake them, then follow my Baked Paneer Cutlet recipe.