Vazhai Thandu Kootu Recipe, today we will see how to prepare banana stem / plantain kootu curry which is both equally healthy and delicious. This recipe can be tried with or without coconut. I have shared the version of kootu curry with coconut, which is my favorite. The curry is very thick and creamy.
Vazhai Thandu / Plantain Stem, full of nutrition and rich in fiber. One of the well known benefit is weight loss and it helps to cure constipation because of its high fiber content. I have experienced both in my life. Vazhai thandu helped me in my weight loss journey.
I have shared a post on How to clean Vazhai Thandu which you can refer. Though it looks bit difficult to clean the stem and remove all those naaru / thread, you should definitely give a try and make this stem a regular(not on daily basis) part of your diet. Whenever you clean vazhai thandu, put those chopped pieces in buttermilk to avoid browning of the stem. If using it on the next day, better leave this bowl in refrigerator and then prepare.
I have shared the recipe for Vazhai Thandu Poriyal. Some of the other kootu recipes shared in my blog, Athikai Kootu, Thoothuvalai Keerai Kootu, Zucchini Kootu, Chow Chow Kootu & Lauki Kootu. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
Vazhai Thandu Kootu Recipe
- 2 cup chopped vazhai thandu / banana stem
- ¼ cup moong dal / siru paruppu
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- 2 dry red chilies
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 stick curry leaves
- ¼ cup chopped coconut
- 3 cup water
- Please check below for the instructions.
How to prepare Banana Stem Kootu
- Grind ginger garlic paste, chopped coconut and dry chilies in a mixer to smooth paste adding enough water. Keep it aside. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and saute a while. Now, add chopped tomato and give a stir. Add chopped thandu, turmeric powder, asofeotida and washed moong dal. Stir well everything. Add ground coconut paste and 2-3 cup water. Now, add salt to taste and mix well everything. Close the lid and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Serve this kootu with rice or dosa.