Vilam Pazham Rasam, today we are going to see how to prepare Vilam Palam (Wood Apple) & Paruppu Rasam with step by step pictures. This is a vegan friendly and healthy rasam variety which can be either enjoyed with cooked rice or serve it as soup.
To know about this fruit, please check this article on organicfacts.com. Vilam Pazham helps to get relief from constipation, indigestion problem, piles, diarrhea and dysentery. Most of the shops sell this fruit at the time of vinayaga chaturthi. Vilam Pazham stays well in refrigerator for a month. The pulp will be little soar just like tamarind. I’m sharing the recipe for rasam which also has toor dal. The outer shell of wood apple is hard, so use any hammer or pestle to break it open.
The recipe is simple to follow. Remove the pulp of wood apple, soak it in water, cook with toor dal along with the ingredients mentioned below. For extra flavor, try adding few mint leaves. You can either grind the pulp or follow the method mentioned below. Some of the rasam varieties shared in my blog, Thoothuvalai Keerai Rasam, Palak Dal Rasam, Kollu Rasam, Lemon Rasam & Mysore Rasam. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Vilam Pazham Rasam Recipe
- 1 Vilam Pazham / Wood Apple
- ¼ cup toor dal / tuvaram paruppu
- 1 small tomato
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- asofoetida - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chili
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 4-5 crushed garlic flakes
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check below for the instructions.
How to prepare Vilam Palam Recipe
- Break wood apple with a hammer or pestle. Remove the pulp and soak in 3 cup water. Add tomato in the pulp water mixture. Keep aside for 30 minutes. Pressure cook toor dal with 1 cup water for 2-3 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Mash dal very well and add 1 cup water and keep aside. Take pulp-tomato-water mixture. Squeeze tomato and pulp. You can use the mixture as it is or filter the water. I would suggest to use the mixture as it is to get more nutritional benefits.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp gingelly oil in a kadai or pan. Temper mustard seeds, broken red chilies, curry leaves and crushed garlic. Saute a while. Add pepper powder and cumin powder. Give a stir and add pulp-tomato mixture. Mix well everything.
- Add turmeric powder and asofeotida. Let it cook for 2 minutes. Add cooked dal, salt to taste and chopped coriander. Mix well everything and let it boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer rasam to a bowl. Serve hot with rice.