Besan Rajma Murukku Recipe /Crispy Rajma Chakli, today I’m going to share how to prepare crispy besan rajma murukku recipe with step by step photos. Try this unique combination of rice flour, besan and rajma in a chakli / murukku.
When I searched for rajma murukku recipe in google, found out that only one or two sites have shared the recipe. I have referred my Besan Chakli recipe and made few variations. I replaced urad dal with rajma and it worked out well. Rajma makes the dough little bit sticky, to adjust that add 1 tbsp rice flour and knead again. Ghee or Butter can be added to this recipe. For better results always use fresh rice flour and besan / gram flour. Rajma is cooked till mushy and ground to fine paste. If there are one or two chunks of uncooked rajma, remove them from the paste. The recipe is very simple. You can either deep fry or bake them.
When going for deep fry option, use a combination of gingelly oil and coconut oil or ground nut oil for more nutritional benefits. If possible, try with cold pressed oil / chekku yennai. This murukku doesn’t absorb much oil, so I have not used any absorbent tissue paper. Whenever using a small kadai to deep fry murukku, make sure to add only 2 or 3 murukku at a time. Do not overcrowd. The below mentioned quantity yields 450 gms of murukku. For large quantity, use big kadai to reduce cooking time.
To prepare Rice Flour, wash raw rice and drain the water completely. Spread rice on a newspaper or cloth and allow it to completely dry. Grind rice in a mixer to a fine powder and sieve the flour on a newspaper. Grind it again till you get fine rava like flour (It should not be very smooth and not too coarse). If you want to prepare rice flour in large quantity, then give the raw rice to a mill for grinding and then dry roast the flour and store in an air-tight container.
Some of the other murukku varieties shared in my blog, Idli Rice Murukku, Potato Kambu Murukku and Mixed Dal Murukku. Also do not forget to check my list of 30 plus diwali special savory recipes. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Besan Rajma Murukku Recipe Card
- 1 and ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup besan / gram flour / kadalai maavu
- ½ cup rajma / red kidney beans - soaked overnight
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- salt to taste
- asofoetida - a pinch
- ½ tsp red chili powder - according to your need
- 2 tbsp warm oil for kneading
- 1 tbsp warm ghee for kneading
- warm water to knead
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Crispy Rajma Chakli
- Soak rajma overnight. Next day, drain the water completely. Pressure cook rajma with 2 and 1/2 cup water for 10 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain the water completely and let cooked rajma come to room temperature.
- Blend rajma in a mixer to smooth paste. Add 4 or 5 tbsp water while grinding to make it smooth. Transfer to a wide mixing bowl. To the bowl, add rice flour, besan, sesame seeds, salt, hing and chili powder. Knead everything together. Add 1 tbsp warm ghee and 1 tbsp warm oil while kneading. Knead well using enough warm water.
- Finally, add 1 tbsp warm oil and knead to smooth dough. If the dough is sticky, adjust it by adding 1 tbsp rice flour. Close it and keep aside for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a heavy bottomed kadai or pan for deep frying. Take murukku press and fill it with portion of dough. Press it on a newspaper in circular motion to either make mullu murruku shape. Prepare it till oil gets hot.
- To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up immediately. Change the flame to low-medium and deep fry murukku in batches. Fry till it turns golden brown and oil sizzling sound stops. Remove carefully from oil and drain the excess oil if any using an absorbent tissue paper. Store in an airtight container and serve.