Collection of Easy Murukku Varieties, I’ve compiled a list of 20 murukku / chakli recipes made from besan / rice flour / maida / wheat / rava / millet flour. All are easy to prepare if you keep the ingredients ready. These murukku can be prepared for diwali and christmas.
In most of the recipes, rice flour is the main ingredient. To prepare Rice Flour at home, wash raw rice and drain the water completely. Spread rice on a newspaper or cloth and allow it to completely dry. Grind rice in a mixer to a fine powder and sieve the flour on a newspaper. Grind it again till you get fine rava like flour (It should not be very smooth and not too coarse). If you want to prepare rice flour in large quantity, then give the raw rice to a mill for grinding and then dry roast the flour and store in an air-tight container.
You can do the same way for idli rice / puzhungal arisi. When using besan / gram flour, make sure to buy fresh flour for better results. To prepare millet flour, dry roast the grains and grind in a mixie. Ready-made millet flours are also available in the market. Similarly, grind urad dal or other dal a day before to save the time. For vegan friendly options, replace ghee / butter with oil. Always try to use cold pressed (chekku yennai) groundnut oil or a combination of gingelly and groundnut oil for deep frying murukku as they are more nutritious compared to refined oil.
If you have any doubts with the recipes, do leave your comments or send an email. I have shared a list of 35 diwali savory recipes which you can also refer. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Collection of Easy Murukku Varieties
- Crispy Butter Murukku (a crispy and buttery murukku prepared from rice flour, urad dal, besan and butter)
- Seepu Seedai Murukku (a chettinadu special murukku variety prepared from rice flour, moong dal, urad dal and coconut milk and given the swirl shape using a comb or board)
- Besan Rajma Murukku (crispy murukku variety prepared from besan, rice flour and red kidney beans)
- Idli Rice Murukku (another murukku variety prepared from the combination of idli rice flour, urad dal and roasted gram)
- Samai Siru Paruppu Murukku (murukku prepared without urad dal, crispy one with the health benefits of samai millet)
- Poondu Pottukadalai Murukku (garlic flavored murukku prepared from rice flour, roasted gram and urad dal)
- Maida Mullu Murukku (steamed maida flour combined with urad dal, moong dal, sesame seeds and roasted gram)
- Bajra Kaju Murukku (cashew nut flavored murukku variety prepared with the combination of rice flour, bajra flour and urad dal)
- Mixed Dal Murukku (an easy and protein rice murukku prepared with the combination of four dal, urad dal, channa dal, toor dal and moong dal)
- Ragi Cholam Murukku (a combination of two millet flour, ragi and jowar, baked to perfection)
- Mullu Murukku ( a simple and easy murukku variety prepared from rice flour and urad dal)
- Thenkuzhal Murukku (3 hole murukku plate used to prepare this easy and crispy murukku variety)
- Coconut Milk Murukku (a spicy version of coconut milk murukku made from rice flour and two dal combinations)
No Dal Murukku Varieties
- Wheat Rava Murukku (an easy murukku recipe made from rice flour and cooked wheat rava paste)
- Wheat Flour Murukku (an easy and crispy steamed wheat flour chakli variety shared with step by step photos, no rice flour used)
- Potato Kambu Murukku (a unique combination of potato, bajra, garlic, roasted gram and rice flour)
- Maida Chegodilu (crispy and spicy ring shaped murukku prepared from steamed maida flour with the flavor of cumin seeds)
- Ribbon Pakoda (another easy no dal murukku made with rice flour and besan and then deep fried)
Sweet Murukku Varieties
- Achu Murukku with Egg (a crispy and delicious flower shaped Rose Cookies made from maida, sugar and egg white)
- Eggless Achu Murukku (an egg-less version of achappam prepared from maida, rice flour and coconut milk and then deep fried)